What should I spend $70 on to improve my system?

Which option should I choose?

• New Processor?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New SSD?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • New Keyboard?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I recently got $70 in credit from a friend who decided to buy some extra junk I had. He said I could spend it on whatever I want and I've decided to use it to upgrade my system.

My specs are:
AMD A8 5600k APU (Only used as a CPU at the moment)
MSI FM2 A75MA E35
6GB of RAM (1600MHz)
GTX 660TI (EVGA)
and all the other usual junk that does not need to be upgraded within the next few years.

I am debating several ideas:
1. New Processor - I have a spare B75 board for Ivy Bridge processors laying around. I want to know if buying a new processor (intel pentium for around $70) is a smart move. The main advantage of this, I feel, is that I will be able to use 4 DIMM slots for 8GB of RAM (I had 4 (2x2) but I bought 1 stick of 4 so now I have 1 2GB and 1 4GB because of motherboard limitations). I also think it will run cooler and quieter as compared to the APU which is extremely loud.

2. New SSD - If I don't buy that, I am hoping I can get a good Crucial M500 120GB for $70 and use that. I have a 450GB HDD (500 out of the box) and about 300 is used. I have to cut down on programs so I'm sort of wary of doing this at the moment. Since I just recently reinstalled windows, and downloaded near 150GB of raw installation files, I'm worried that I'll go over the internet quota and I'll have some issues. If I can migrate without needing a reinstall of all my games this is a viable option.

3. Some peripherals - This is the one I wanted recommendations on. I've been looking for a good enough mechanical keyboard and I want to get the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Cherry MX Blue. Does this seem like a good use of the money?

Thanks in advance :)
*Vote for whichever option you think will be the best use of the money*

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I'm still worried that the SSD will be a hassle to convert to. What's your opinion on the new processor? If it's a performance downgrade (I don't mind equal performance) then I'll buy the SSD.

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

When I get a new CPU I will already have a new motherboard to go with it - My brother left his old Ivy Bridge motherboard with me. It should work with the new pentiums.

theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
No it won't. New intel CPU are 1150 socket and sandy is 1155. You can still get(buy) 1155 cpu's but i think its best to be patient and savemoney. By the time you have it, the prices will drop and maybe something new will come out. You have a solid PC i don't think the upgrade is necessary.
If i was you, i would save up and wait for DDR4 systems to come out (~2015).

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

The only reason I would really ever buy a haswell CPU would be the Pentium G2358, but that would be far too expensive for me, since I would need a Z97 motherboard to actually OC it to good performance levels.

What about the razer black widow tournament edition? It's $80 but I'm sure I can convince him to pay the extra $10. Does that seem like a good keyboard? I do use the numpad but it's only for buying weapons in counterstrike and I can make do without it. The SSD is still my last option because I don't want to have to migrate only part of the hdd. I'd much rather wait till i could afford a 500GB SSD to actually buy one.