Higher Refresh Rate=Smoother looking gameplay?

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
I was watching CoeStar and other streamers on YouTube and their game looks a lot smoother than mine and my friends. So I was wondering does it have to do with the Refresh Rate on their monitor? Cause mines only 60hz and one of them is 144hz. So does that make it looks smoother when they look from the left to the right. Don't say it's due to FPS cause I have 230FPS in League of Legends and 324FPS in Minecraft.

Solution

How can you, when your monitor can only show 60 frames per second? You do not see what he sees unless you too have a 120hz monitor. Video has a tendency to appear smoother by the nature of motion blur, but it is simply impossible to see what he sees with a 60hz monitor. Videos cannot magically make your monitor into a 120hz monitor.

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013

Not recording. Watching a stream. Also 16GB of 1866 mhz RAM. AMD FX 8350 4.7ghz and R9 280x
My Monitor is a 60ghz Acer 19.5' 1600x900

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013

But I can tell from the stream. Because it looks a lot more smooth and fluent than my game.

How can you, when your monitor can only show 60 frames per second? You do not see what he sees unless you too have a 120hz monitor. Video has a tendency to appear smoother by the nature of motion blur, but it is simply impossible to see what he sees with a 60hz monitor. Videos cannot magically make your monitor into a 120hz monitor.

Solution

100% correct

A higher refresh rate DOES help. The difference is subtle. An average user may not be able to notice the difference, but the more you are used to the higher refresh rate, the better you will be at noticing the difference. If you move around quickly (like spinning around), you can see a much smoother transition on the monitor with higher refresh rate.

Having said that, a video doesn't fully capture this subtlety. Also, for the more demanding games, the higher refresh rate requires a stronger graphics card. For the games that you're playing, League of Legends and Minecraft, it's not a big deal.