Would you recommend the r9 280x?

Hustey

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
I have been looking into buying a new PC for a while - I was looking at buying the MSI r9 280x card, however after looking into the card I have read a lot of things about the card showing artifacts. My question is - Do you think I should take the risk and buy this card? Is this a really common problem? Have the cards been sorted out? Should I consider a different card like the gtx 770?

The computer specs will be as follows:

CPU - I5 4670k / 4690k
CPU cooler - Hyper 212 Evo
RAM - 8gb DDR3
Motherboard - MSI z97 gaming 5
Storage - 120 gb SSD - 1tb HDD

I would like peoples opinions on this matter - thanks

The Builder

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
I've tested, benchmarked and used various AMD graphics card over the years. If I'm not limited by a tight budget, I'd grab a NVIDIA graphics card over an AMD one. What is your budget? And where will you be buying your GPU?

If you're in doubt...Don't!
You're obviously not 100% happy with the idea so you'll almost certainly be very critical of the card (R9 280X) if you purchase one, I've seen it done so many times with different things in the past, mate, go for a GTX770 and be fully happy.

Nice, solid, forward looking build BTW, just make sure you get a power supply that is worthy of it: 650Watts will give plenty of juice and some in reserve (you're obviously going to OC that nice 'K' CPU aren't you ;) ) Seasonic, Silverstone, XFX Pro series, FSP Aurium series, Rosewill Capstone series, Antec or Corsair (not the 'CX' or 'VS') are among the better ones.

Hustey

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
Thanks for the replies - I'm buying from England - My budget is maximum £250. I was originally looking at the gtx 770, however I read that 2GB of vram might not be sufficient for future gaming? So i looked into other cards and found the 280x with 3gb of vram which looked more appealing. Seeing as i'm a student I don't have the money to be constantly upgrading so i wanted a PC which would last as long as possible, which made the r9 280x stand out more.

Is this information wrong? And will the 2gb gtx 770 be fine? (I don't have the budget for a 4gb version)

Thanks