NEW BUILD FIRST TIME AND NO SIGNAL TO MONITOR, help?long description....

jvella

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Hey guys, so the problem is I built my first computer yesterday, and everything was perfect, all the parts went in no problem and the PC booted up and so I installed windows 8.1. I used the PC for a couple hours, surfed the web and downloaded necessary programs. I installed Total War Rome II and played for about 10 mins just to check how the integrated graphics would play it, it was fine to play with medium graphics. I installed Euro Trucker 2, that played fine ( I spent about 10 mins on each game) I installed Empire Total War and that ran fine for the few minutes i played it.

So all was good, I had my basic and necessary software and programs with a few games. I then left my computer on with nothing running other than general background programs, anti-virus etc...

I was gone maybe 1 hour, 1 hour 20 minutes tops and when i came back the PC was still running but there was no output to the monitor. I tried restarting, different cables (VGA and HDMI) on three different screens.and nothing. I have tired everything I can think of. CMOS clear, ram troubleshooting, CPU in and out, CPU HSF out and back in. Unplugged everything and re-plugged tried booting with only CPU and ram. I have tried everything I can think of and everything on the stickied list of troubleshoots for this kind of problem. PSU seems to work fine, all fans and lights work etc... All parts were perfectly fine before it stopped working as far as I knew.

My build -

I5 4670k
GA-Z97-HD3~
Gskill 8gb Ram (2x4)
Corsair CX600M Modular
120gb kingston SSD
1tb WD HDD
80gb HDD
TP-Link Wireless card
NZXT sentry 2 fan controller
dvd drive

I have ordered a GPU. I have a r9 270x on its way should be here in the next day or two.

Please help me guys, thanks!!!

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Rest the CMOS. Pull the battery out for 10 sec. or use the jumper if it has one.
Install a GPU and see if the problems goes away.

Unplug everything that is not needed to run the computer. Extra HDDs ETC.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbysymptom/ht/nothingonscreen.htm

Check the PSU. If a PSU fails it will cause a ton of problems.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/f/powersupplytest.htm

How where your computer's temps before this happened?
The system may have overheated killing something.

Look at your manual and see if there is a jumper to disable the onborad video.
If so, make sure it is enabled.

If it still does not work I would RMA the CPU, MOB, and PSU.

jvella

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Iv'e reset the CMOS via removing battery and jumpers, I have unplugged everything. My temps were around 24 degrees Celsius and the cpu was about 30 degrees. When I was playing the games mobo heatsink temp rose to about 41 degrees and cpu between 35 and 50 degrees. The temps came via my fan controller where I had placed heat sensors inside my case.

I will check my manual again now just to see but i don't remember seeing that already.

Any other ideas guys!?!?!

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
You where reading 50C via a sensor?
That means your CPU would be running way hotter because the reading would have airflow.
The only good way to get CPU temps is via the MOB's temp sensor.
If the system does not work with the new GPU there is a high chance that something burntup.
Connect a speaker to your MOB and see what beeb codes you get.

jvella

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
I was getting 30 degrees from my sensor touching the inside of the heat sink 50 degrees is just a rough estimate.
I have no speaker but I have ordered one. If something is faulty will it get replaced by the manufacturer / seller?

Mxhawthy

Distinguished
I notice that you said that everything was fine, however, after about an hour, you came back and there was no output to the monitor anymore. So, you could say that your PC went to 'Sleep' or 'Hibernate' or whatever...? So it seems that it went to sleep, and the problem lies with you not being able to wake it up again? Like some sort of 'permanent sleep'.

I don't know much about monitors... more about PCs, but I think the problem could be with the I/O (input/output) controllers within your CPU.

Basically, anything that is connected to your PC externally, uses the I/O controllers to communicate with your processor. It sends signals that are transferred between your CPU and the device (in this case, your monitor) via the 'control bus' on your motherboard. My thinking is that something could be damaged, either the control bus, or the actual I/O controller.

Have you checked that you haven't bent any pins when installing your CPU?

Did you handle your motherboard carefully when installing it into your case?

I have never come across a problem like yours before. Quite often peoples monitors don't have any output, but I've never heard of a monitor that goes to hibernate and won't come back on.

If my theory turns out to be correct, then there's nothing much you can do but replace whichever component is causing the problem. But I could very much be wrong. Maybe get a professional's advice, like, a professional motherboard dude, or a CPU guru :)

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a simple 'quick fix and go', but I hope that I help you with working out exactly what has gone wrong.

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Strip the computer all the way down. Inspect all of your components and look for damage.
Reassemble it if everything is fine. Make sure there is not any thermal compound under the CPU.
Check for damage to the CPU. Check for bent pins under the CPU socket.
Try running it without the CMOS battery. Try using only 1x stick of RAM.

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

If any of your parts are broken you should be able to RMA them. (Unless they where used or refirb)

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Do not touch the pins. RMA the MOB. Once you touch it you can not get a refund/New MOB.....

I would also return the CPU if you can.
The CPU may be damaged from overheating or a short ETC.
If anything you can get new parts that you know should be working instead of sitting in the dark.

Mxhawthy

Distinguished

As the other people said, don't try to bend them back in place. I hope that this is the issue, and that you are able to get a replacement and get back to your PC :)