Large External Storage Solution Needed

knaunko

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hey All
Hope someone here can help me. While i do know my way around a PC i am not a Tech Expert so if i sound idiotic please excuse me. Also i have lots of questions about this, so please bear with me.

I need a rather large external storage device, at least 8 drives, and at least 2TB each. I say 2TB because i am not sure if the 3TB and 4TB Drives around are safe. The device will be used to store music, movies and pictures if that makes a difference.

I would also like it to be networked to two machines but is it possible to do this with wifi? or does it have to be a physical network like RJ-45 cable?

The other thing is RAID, i do not understand it very well, obviously i will want to RAID so i have some redundancy but is it possible to have all the drives appear as one volume?

And finally the major question, is there anyway to buy such a device prebuilt where all i have to do is insert the Drives and set it up? or will i have to try and build my own?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated/

popatim

Titan
Sorry Kyle but thats just a rack. put 8 drives in it and it won't even power them up. You still need to install that into a server with appropriate raid card & cables.

Knaunko. to me it sounds like you need a large Nas. They do come in 8 bay & larger models such as these:
Synologyds1813+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108138
Qnap TS-869L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107112

These work best attaached to your router via network cable. You router can be wireless and give you access from your wireless laptops/pc's/mac's...

Raid is redundancy, meaning if a drive fails the system & your files are still functional. One of the benefits is having a single volume (if you want) thou you have many disks.

As you can see you can buy these or also make your own if so inclined.

Lastly, I would like to mention that important files should always be backed up to different devices. Please don't store you're only copy on one device, even if its in a raid. Raid is not a substitute for a backup as you will see if you browse these forums (lots of people asking for help recovering from failed raids). So keep in that in mind, it often adds quite an expense to your storage needs.

KyleADunn

Honorable

I realize that it's just a rack, but I'm under the impression that the rack can easily be connected to a system, server, etc, with WiFi capability. It'd certainly be a more budget friendly option opposed to the $850-$1000 systems suggested above.

Though, your suggestions would be the easier route.