Non gaming triple 4k Setup - Graphics card recommendations

Shahin Fard

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
Hi,

I'm building a new rig.

So far have the Asus Maximus VI Z87 Extreme - I bought this board as it can do x8/x16/x8.

Components I've bought:
i7-4770k
32 GB Memory 2333mhz
2 x SSD 240GB
2 x 3 TB WD Black
2 x 240 Rads
1 x 360 Rads

I want to power three 4k screens via displayports. This is a workstation only, not gaming (I have a PC at home for that)

I've looked at Quadro/Gefore/Firepro etc.All I really want to be able to do is run three screens at 4k resolutions at 60hz for Windows/ Word/ Excel/ Outlook etc.

I've come up with two options currently, but would love to hear what the community would recommend:

Option 1:
The HD 7990 has four displayports and apparently supports 4k resolutions per display output so theoretically it should work unless I'm mistaken?

Option 2:
3 x R9 290 cards, each one with a separate displayport.

I'd like to watercool the graphics card as well. Thanks for your help.

Solution

i have a R9 290X Windforce 3X, and also game @ a 4k resolution. Is it worth the extra price over the R9 290, defiantly not. Both cards perform quite similar and for the extra, might as well save it.

Go for triple R9 290's, that is your best bet. The 4GB Vram on the R9's is very very useful @ 4k, Hence the reason I bought one over Nvidia counterparts.

NOTE; Make sure you get well cooled models with a very well ventilated case, Tri-Fire R9 290's with a custom...
workstation cards tend to be really overpriced, just stick with either GeForce or Radeon (R9). If not far gaming and you only want to use display ports, not many cards have three, why not DVI/HDMI ports?

The 7990 does have four, but they are Mini Display Ports, the R9 295X2 has four as well but will cost you a lot.

Shahin Fard

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
DVI/HDMI ports only support 30hz at 4k resolutions, hence why I'm looking for Displayports which supports 60hz at 4k resolutions. This is based on what I've found online.

Shahin Fard

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
At home I have two GTX 690's and definetely like Nvidia, but it seems for single graphics card with big memory (cost effectively), I keep ending up on AMD's doorstep.

I was going for 3 x R9 290 because of the 4GB VRAM - which I thought would be necessary for 4k graphics.

i have a R9 290X Windforce 3X, and also game @ a 4k resolution. Is it worth the extra price over the R9 290, defiantly not. Both cards perform quite similar and for the extra, might as well save it.

Go for triple R9 290's, that is your best bet. The 4GB Vram on the R9's is very very useful @ 4k, Hence the reason I bought one over Nvidia counterparts.

NOTE; Make sure you get well cooled models with a very well ventilated case, Tri-Fire R9 290's with a custom cooled card can get really hot, as each card at max load will produce ~75 degrees C, with three cards it will be hot. With the stock cooled model, it will be 94 degrees C under max load.

-I have a HAF X 942 with all case fan mounting positions possible used, card OC's @ 1295MHz core clock (insane of far that card) never goes above 78 degrees C under full load, thanks to the case's HAF design (High Air flow).

Solution