Wondering about my GPUs and my monitor

Deralinoux

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2014
Hey guys !
I've been looking to build a new gaming computer, and I'm trying to get to high performances without looking too much at the price (though obviously still caring about differences of over a hundred dollars) Current goal is to be able to play The Witcher 3 at max when it comes out, and run previous games, such as Crysis 3 or Metro: Last Light just as well.
To maximize efficiency, I've decided to go for dual-GPUs, however, I'm not quite sure which to choose just yet. I had originally been considering a dual Geforce GTX760, but since then I've made some calculations and realised getting a 4k monitor would be worth it, and the Samsung U28D590D, with 60 Hz, 1ms reaction time and 28 inches seems pretty damn great. From what I've read, I'm not sure that 2 GTX760 in SLI would be able to stand the 4k resolution, at least not at 60 fps, so I've been thinking about picking up 2 GTX780 instead, but it obviously raises the price by almost 500$... What do you think ? I might "downgrade" to a 2560x1440 monitor to keep my dual 760s if the price ends up too high, but I can't help but feel charmed by 4k...
Thank you for your answers and suggestions !

KyleADunn

Honorable
I would suggest going for a single, more powerful card! Then you can OC that lone card once it's dated, as opposed to having two dated cards you can't do much of anything with.

Also, a single card prevents SLI/CFX issues/headaches.

For an NVIDIA card, I'd go with the Titan. ($1000~)

For Radeon, a much cheaper yet powerful option would be the r9 290x (~$500), or the [arguably] best dang card there is: r9 295x. ($1,500~)

As for the possible downgrade, here's some insight from Sony on 2k vs. 4k resolution...

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9284/sony-asks-is-4k-worth-it-their-own-research-says

Deralinoux

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2014
Well, would a Titan really be more powerful than double 780s (which are about the same price)? I have very little experience nor knowledge in the matter, but from what I've read regarding high-end gaming, especially in 4k, SLI seemed to be the way to go for maximum performance, even if using "less-than-top-notch" cards...

KyleADunn

Honorable

"In order to power games at this resolution with settings turned up NVIDIA recommends GTX 780 SLI or better." -NVIDIA Dev

2x 780's would be optimal, but if you're looking to future proof, a Titan would still serve you well, and allow for later upgrade. Though, I should note that Titans are meant for professional usage, while the 780's are made for gaming. So, if you are going for the in-the-now route with NVIDIA, stick to the 780's!

But you shouldn't rule out that r9 295x just yet! Even r9 290x's in CF would give SLI'd 780s a run for their money. The issue is that VRAM won't stack, and the Radeon counterparts have more vram per card. Vram is one of the essential performance makers for 4k resolution.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2130753/gtx-780ti-sli-295x2.html

Deralinoux

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2014

Alright, thanks a lot for your feedback ! I think I'll stick with 780s over a Titan, but I will check out the Radeon ones as well. I'd been sticking with nVidia 'cause I've always used GPUs from them and it made my search easier, but if 290xs on Crossfire seem better, I might just change my mind ^_^
Thanks again !

KyleADunn

Honorable

Alright, thanks a lot for your feedback ! I think I'll stick with 780s over a Titan, but I will check out the Radeon ones as well. I'd been sticking with nVidia 'cause I've always used GPUs from them and it made my search easier, but if 290xs on Crossfire seem better, I might just change my mind ^_^
Thanks again ![/quotemsg]

Glad to be of help! Don't forget to select best answer :)