Is it worth going from Benq 1080p 120Hz to Asus pb278q 1440p monitor?

gloo69

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Title explains it all.
I do a lot of gaming such as bf4, arma, far cry 3, ac4 etc..
I don't know if it would be worth spending the money on a monitor and not
be happy or amazed with the switch. Any opinions would be appreciated

Thanks!

Solution
IMO no. high refresh are better, you get nice clear fast images explosions ect, when you turn everything is nice and clear, and IMO the higher refresh rates improve your performance in FPS games like BF4. They also have faster response times, and lower input lag. just an overall better feeling in games. you also need to consider the performance hit you will be taking by jumping up to a higher resolution. Without knowing your complete specs I am not able to tell you how you will perform at 1440p.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
IMO no. high refresh are better, you get nice clear fast images explosions ect, when you turn everything is nice and clear, and IMO the higher refresh rates improve your performance in FPS games like BF4. They also have faster response times, and lower input lag. just an overall better feeling in games. you also need to consider the performance hit you will be taking by jumping up to a higher resolution. Without knowing your complete specs I am not able to tell you how you will perform at 1440p.

Solution

gloo69

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
@Tradesman1: Very true, I totally agree with "it's all a personal preference"

@ChrisR83: I also agree, I love the smoothness of higher framerates. That's my big "what if." I don't want be switch and hate it cause of the refresh rate
of the monitor.
For full specs:

I7 4930K/ Asus rampage black edition/ 16gb kingston Hyperx Beast(2400mhz)/ Asus gtx 780's sli DCU2 OC/ Seasonix 1050W psu.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Well you definately have the GPU power :) I've got the 780CUs in SLI also and love 'em, I would just hate saying 'Yeah, go for it', when it's something that you individually, may not be all that thrilled...it's a whole nother story when someone says "WHICH" should I get, opposed to the "is it worth it"......since it is personal preference and not as clear cut as "is a 780 better than a 270X", sorry can't offer more :(

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Do you know anyone that has a 1440p monitor? you could set them up side by side and test it out. i don’t think 1440p is that much of an improvement. i personally think 1080p looks just fine and i plan on staying here for the next few years, and setting a 3 monitor surround. Once 4k becomes the norm and has 120+ refresh rates, then I will consider bumping up my resolution, but it will be a few years before the quality monitors at the 120hz+ range, and hardware required to run high fps (100+) are affordable. but 1440 just isn’t worth it IMO.

Edit: I don’t think I can ever go back to playing at 60hz, call me a snob but I don’t like playing at 60hz anymore.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
That is going to cost big money! the VG278QE 1080p 144hz is like $380. i can just imagine that the cost for the 27"1440p 144hz is going to be even higher. IMO the jump to 1440p when you already have a great 1080p monitor would not be worth the money. =(

gloo69

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
@Tradesman: I know! I wish it could be based on performance like gpus/cpus. I'm tempted to buy it but if I don't like it I would have to ebay the monitor or return it to newegg for a loss. Have you tried a 1440p monitor?

@bystander: I watched Tiny Tom's review on that monitor and it's freakin amazing but the price is waaaaaay out of my range. I can't justify spending
the money right now.

@ Chris: Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a 1440p monitor. None of my friends even own a gaming pc haha.. Yeah same here, I like playing
at 120hz. I can honestly say I can tell when I have my monitor at 60Hz. The smoothness of bf4 goes away. I was heavily into playing hard when playing fps but I've calm down a lot. I'm about to graduate from my university and I just play normal, I don't put in massive hours online like I use to. That's another reason I wanted to move up in resolution, I'm more into "casual gaming" I guess you can say.