• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

SaBeS

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Hello all, i'm from Transcarpathia (Ukraine, but im Hungarian, long story :). Sorry for English mistakes.

I considering to "downgrade" my system and save some money.

My current mobo and cpu is ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z + FX-8350@4.5GHz (Silverstone TD02 cooler).

I can buy a very good combo of mobo and CPU, 2500k + ASrock Z68 Extreme 7 gen 3 from a friend only for ~136$ so i can save up some money by selling my old config (all under warranty)

I always wanted an Intel system :love:

Short question: worth it?

I mean i can save money + i can get a very solid single core performance and last but not least i can upgrade later to a 3770k or 2600k (2600k is better I think).

What do you think? Would you do this change if you were me? :)

What a dillema :D

Im using my computer to play BF4, web programming, web design (GIMP) and rarely for video editing.

Nope; not worth it. Well; it's worth the price (assuming all is well), but not worth it for you.

In other words, for a new build, it's worth it. For an upgrade (or in your term "downgrade"), it's not.

G

Yeah I wouldn't. You'll be hard pressed to find much of a difference and it is a bit of a downgrade indeed (I mean... a Formula to an AsRock board?)

Even with the option of upgrading to a third gen chip in future it doesn't make for much of a cost effective plan.
I suppose it all depends on how much you can raise for your current build, the other machine is still good and you'll get roughly similar performance, but if you can make a large profit it does make sense.

For the hassle I personally don't think it's worth it. It ALL depends on how much you can raise for the 8350 build.
Also for that kind of price, questions might want to be asked as to why your friend is selling it. Did he fry something? o_O

You could still buy it and sell it on without telling your friend, making quite a fair profit *Hint hint*.

Not really. It's used and a bit old so I doubt you can re-sell it for much. Assuming you have buyers.

G

True, but I bet you could still get more than the 136$ for it.
Any profit is a profit.

G

He didn't state where his friend was. Could be right next door.
Also, there's still enough left over for shipping. An i5 2500k machine is going to get a lot more than 136$, just a matter of finding the right buyer.

SaBeS

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Hmm i see there are not much difference in benchmarks, the real oppurtunity for me is the later upgrade to an i7 :( Im afraid the AM3+ platform is dead. 1155 is obsolote i know but i can make performance gain after updating the CPU. BTW I love my current system I will consider to sell the 2500k.

Why so cheap? Long story in short: friend's company is under liquidation, bankcruptcy (i dont know which is the right phrase) and they giving stuffs away. Problem: there are no accesories and package for the mobo and CPU = cheap.

G

I suppose it depends on the other specs. I mean, if the case is good, GPU (if any), storage etc...

If I was offered the same deal I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I doubt very much that I'd use it to replace mine, but it would either become a test rig, or I'd sell it on.

At the end of the day it's really not a bad deal. Just... not worth replacing your current setup with.

SaBeS

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Oh i think you guys misunderstand me, rather it was my mistake. These are the mobo and CPU ONLY :) (the other parts already sold or reused i don't know.

G

Ohhhh in that case, hell no.
It's probably worth that price, roughly, but there really is no point.
You probably wouldn't get more than that price if you sold it also.

Except it's not a machine, just a CPU with an old motherboard. Customer base is a lot smaller.

Edit: oops, didn't read the responses after your post before I said that. :p

SaBeS

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Since I already bought these I will do some benchmarks :D for fun! and will overclock it! yes i will damn overclock it to hell! :)