Which GPU to buy

Marco001

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
hello,
I would like to know firstly if there is a big enough difference between the r9 290x and the r9 290, and wheter it is worth the extra money, and which is better and why?
I am gaming on 3 24' screens and also if there are any nvidia gpus that compare to those two and their prices.
Eventually i would like to buy two gpus,
Thanks

I have the R9 290X and it is not worth it over the R9 290. The both perform quite similarly but have a major price difference. Get a R9 290 and get a second later, no crossfire bridge needed any more and is far better value. If you like me and want the best, then get the R9 290X.

Marco001

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

Thanks for that, i am also leaning more towards the 290 just because of the price difference, because like you said they are quite similar!!

techtechie

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
its quite common, people buying the 290 and unlocking it to the 290x. if your like me, squeezing a nickel for 2 pennies, get the 290 and unlock it.......just to feed the narcissism ;) lol

they are, i have a windofrce 3X OC cooled model by Gigabyte, does a great job but many people have had them to be faulty.

Sapphire and Asus are great choices, the DCUII/Tri-X and my personal favourite, the Vapor-X by Sapphire, are my top favourites of the cooled hawaii's.

this has been attempted to be done and doesn't always work, it is also not recommended.