Maximus VI Gene Fan speeds

tallmilk

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I believe I have come to a dead end, but my nice delta 1800cfm fans are useless if they never go above 1100 rpm.

fanspeed doesn't have the config for super io, and fanxpert 2 is elusive.

Is there anyone out there that has managed to control the fan speeds on this mobo? I mean, for a $250 mobo, you would think there would be some way to control your thermals with all that overclocking.

I am bewildered at the moment.

What model fans do you have? Most of the Deltas that I've seen have high amp and watt requirements - I'm guessing that 1100 RPM is as high as they can get if you're trying to power them through the Gene. You probably need an aftermarket fan controller with enough total, and per-channel, to run them to their max RPM. Something like a Lamptron FC-2 or -3, or a Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme.

tallmilk

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
After messing around with the manual fan control in the bios it seems that I may not need a controller.

One of the reasons I got these fans was to push more air more efficiently. The board is spinning them at 2500rpm. That is plenty for me.

I am running a h80i with 2 delta fans in push pull, and the liquid unit is just terrible at controlling fans, so I hooked up my chassis fans to it. Now, I have the Deltas hooked up to the board and it seems to be pushing plenty of air. The most recent bios update gave me just enough fan adjust on the board to suit my needs.

Now that I got the cooling sorted, I need to get this 4770k stable at anything above 4.1ghz.

tallmilk

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
The Deltas a impressive, but the h80i is not. I have been thinking about going back to my Evo 212. Are the Corsair liquid cooling systems a gimmick?

I can't say, as my builds are air-only. My only experience with Corsair liquid systems is using their benches for comparison to my air coolers. Other than that, I've seen them in friends' builds and at a couple of shows and haven't been impressed. From what I've seen, in return for performance which might, I say again...might, be comparable or slightly better than a Noctua D14 or D15, you get the benefit of less mobo real estate used and they look pretty cool, but it's at the cost of a system that's much more complicated, has more point-failure sources (i.e. more single components, subsystems, or component interfaces where a failure will render the whole system inop), and is noisier. Again, my opinion only. I don't think they're a gimmick, I just don't believe that they're anything special.

I don't plan on doing liquid cooling any time soon, but if I was, I'd be inclined to build it custom.

tallmilk

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I just happened to buy a pc that had the h80i, but thus far, I think it is not better than my evo. My evo with the deltas kept my 3570k at 1.28v under 85 temps on prime. That is impressive.

It was a super reliable stable easy setup. I will probably keep the h80i just because there is a small performance increase, but if I build a new system, I wouldn't buy it again. Air is great for the price point, and you still get major stable overclocks.

Don't know if your still tracking this - if you are, you should PM one of the moderators and ask them to change this thread to a question thread. Then you can select a best answer so it shows as closed on the forum boards.