Choosing the right monitor

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Hi Guys,
I'm going to buy a new monitor for my PC and I can't choose between a few models. It'll go with the R9 270 so I need to make sure It'll perform well with high end games.

Samsung LS24D390HL
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS24D390HL/ZA

Samsung S24C750P
http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LS24C750PS/ZN

Samsung S23C350H
http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LS23C350HS/ZN-spec

ASUS VX238H
http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VX238H/specifications/

Thanks.

Solution

You're right. My sincere apology. The first one is the best in terms of imaging quality. The Asus is best for FPS games because of the 1ms refresh rate. The other monitors have a 5ms refresh rate.

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
heres the thing, monitors have alot of preference in the choice, so you gotta look at them and see what you like. when it comes to construction, i love asus. when it comes to color, i like ips, but ips seems to be less "rich" than other panel types. I recently built a comp on a asus PLS panel. It's one of my favorite panels out there. I have looked at many different panels from many different manufactueres, and i prefer asus and samsung, but between those i feel as if alot of Preference will come into play. they seem to all be either ips, or pls technologies, which for a gamer might aswell be the same thing. AH-IPS is the most brilliantly beautiful in almost all cases though, but i dont think there are any in your budget since this is what you have posted. Asus seems to have alot of confidence in there products and i have built 2 computers with asus monitors one in 1080p and the other in 1440p on a liquid cooled 290. and both monitors are the best i've ever used. Plus Asus backs its screens with there 3yr rapid replacement which might be another thing to keep in mind.

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

FPS, Racing, FIFA. I don't think mentioning the budget would matter as I'm not from the US and prices around here are totally different. I realize that with such games a 120hz monitor is the one to go for, but they're either too expensive or not even available.

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Thanks a lot for your input. Problem is the specs and features in all these look the same, and as I said I'm not from the US so I don't have the luxury of choice that I'd like.

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Sorry but you got me confused here. By the "last one" you mean the ASUS? Because as far as I know the only PLS monitor here is the first one (the Samsung D390HL) and the ASUS is the only one with 1ms response
Also I thought that all 4 have the same refresh rate?

You're right. My sincere apology. The first one is the best in terms of imaging quality. The Asus is best for FPS games because of the 1ms refresh rate. The other monitors have a 5ms refresh rate.

Solution

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Ok great. So in your opinion, would the ghosting be a major issue for me with the samsung in fast paced games, like FPS's? Or just barely noticeable?

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Ok great. So in your opinion, would the ghosting be a major issue for me with the samsung in fast paced games, like FPS's? Or just barely noticeable?

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Yeah but as I understand, tearing is an issue related to 60hz monitors, so it won't matter which one I chose. What I meant is would there a [noticeable] difference between samsung's 5ms and ASUS's 1ms response in gaming?

Can you notice a difference between 2ms and 5ms? Personally, I can't notice even 1ms vs 8ms.

The manufacturer says 1ms and 5ms, but it can vary. So 1ms to one manufacturer may not be the same as 1ms to another. Also, 16ms is about the max for 60Hz monitor before most people notice a difference. To put this into perspective, there are 1000 milliseconds in 1 second. Try blinking as fast as you can and count how many times can you blink in one second. On average, a normal eye blink is about 200ms - 400ms.