Suggestion about warranty problems

rdc85

Honorable
Dear All,

I have some problems and i need a suggestion/opinion...

My GPU..
MSI 7870 HAWK died a week ago.. (after a year and a half of good use)
(O.C. for first couple month but not O.C. -ed for last year).

Short story i go to my local store (trustworthy) where I buy it to claim warranty (2 years in my country), and they confirm it dead..
They ship the card to the main distributor (other region)... so good so far..

Here the problem start..

the main distributor/dealer inform my local store that the seal is broken..
they even sent the pic of broken seal... (i will upload later)
so they won't honor the warranty..

I'm quite sure I'm not modify the card except the O.C. earlier..
I'm check the seal & card condition before I go to the local shop, and it's in good condition..
My mistake is I'm not taking a picture of the card that time...

The seal is somehow broken in transportation,
but my guess that someone broke it to void the warranty (no proof)
(If some people said I'm lie and broke the seal myself I'm cannot blame them)

but I need to ask...

So now what can I do?
what option do i have?
Try contacting MSI international ? (I doubt it will help)
Keep argue with them (the distributor)?
Just forget the card and buy new one (non MSI this time)?

Any suggestion is appreciated

MSI normally doesn't void warranties even if you overclock, overvolt, or replace the cooler as long as it is sent back to them for repair with the original cooler. I've also had the same experience with Sapphire on one I overclocked and removed the cooler to replace the thermal paste.

Who is this main distributer/dealer? I would try making an RMA with MSI directly.

You'll notice on this list that all of them say modifications void the warranty except MSI, XFX, and Sapphire. They just require the card back to them in original condition(VGA ram coolers removed, original cooler on it). Even if a seal was broken, your card should still be repaired.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/838-pc-hardware-warranty-comparison/Page-4?showall=

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
It is always better to call the MFG, in this case MSI and talk to them directly. Just be polite and explain the steps you took to get to the point of contacting them, if the first person is unable to help you ask to talk to a supervisor. Good luck I hope you are able to get everything taken care of.

rdc85

Honorable
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm from Indonesia, so first step i do is send the card to the main/only distributor/dealer (local company)..
(there a warranty card/certificate issued by them for 2 years guaranty)

I even sent all the parts and original box & plastic cover with it, never thought it will gone this way..
(they complain about seal broken that i don't know about)

Right now current status is the card is still on the dealer,
my local shop owner still tries to talks with them and see how it goes.. still no info from them..

If there is no solution from them then I will request my card back and try contacting MSI cs/rep..
(glad to hear they not much fuss about seal)

Honestly I'm kinda afraid to RMA directly to MSI since shipping & tax cost for RMA could be
high enough that buying new card is making more sense...
(maybe i can talk to them to cover the shipping fee)

anyways thanks again for the info/suggestion...

update : the pic (do not know why it's happen)
280mtsl.jpg
krgj4.jpg
2la94.jpg
ncdyrt.jpg

Honestly I don't know what type of seal they would be talking about. Possibly a seal that detects if the cooler has been removed?(That's the only removable piece of hardware on the card) I've never seen such a thing, but MSI doesn't void warranties for removing coolers. When you get it back gather up all the info on the place it was sent to by your local dealer and your local dealer's info and do an RMA request straight to MSI and make a complaint.

rdc85

Honorable
updated with the pic of problematic seal...

they argue I'm removing the cooler or modify the card that i don't..
(except if i got some memory loss somewhere)..

right now still waiting for their answer about my complain...
(they are not open at Saturday so have to wait till Monday)

edit: after a thought, it not even cooler bolt/nut it's a back plate bolt/nut..

Someone has taken out the screw on the backplate at some point, the tear in the seal is perfect around the screw, but like I said, MSI warranties everything in the US at least, overclocking, overvolting, removing fans to replace or for water cooling, so I would contact them directly when you get it back. You might not need to send it to them, maybe they can force the company it was sent to to fix it.

rdc85

Honorable
New update :

after long holiday & vocation..

It's seems my rant & negotiating helps..
I keep arguing that I don't know what happened &
stressed out that msi warranty in the other country (US) don't make the seal broken is a problem..
Since this is premium product which I bought with premium price I ask for their reconsideration..

The latest news is their will replace the card (looks like it not serviceable)..
but I have to pay the handling & shipment bill... (well it sound like a good deal)

and now I'm still waiting for the card to arrive to my local shop..

thanks for all helps and advise...