Mar 22, 2014
Hi all

I have what I thought was a stable overclock with the following numbers

VCCIN: 2v
Core: 1.25v
Ring: 1.23v
Core Multi: 45*
Cache Multi: 43*

Passes intel stress test for 8 hours, but I get random reboots doing simple things like using word or chrome. I've also had it randomly reboot on startup

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
Those are just the multipliers, What is the actual clock speeds of the chip?

Also try reducing the overclock and see if it crashes. When you test an overclock use stress tests but also real world applications as well. Also I would recommend prime95 as a cpu stress tester instead.

Just keep reducing the oc until it is fully working again, If you get back to stock speeds though it is most likely not your cpu causing the crashes.

-elite.

What are your core temps during stress testing?
Which Intel test are you using: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility or Intel Burn Test?

Yogi

wayno93

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

4.5GHz and 4.3Ghz. I was advised to avoid prime95 on haswell chips, although I am not sure how reliable the source is.

Thanks

wayno93

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

Bumped the core voltage up to 1.27v and the highest core temp peaks at 73 degrees.

I've been using Intel Extreme tuning utility as that came with my board

Thanks

wayno93

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Just passed a 16 hour stress test. I'm thinking it may be an issue with some other hardware, possibly a stick of ram or the SSD

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished

What ssd do you own? the 2 pc's I have one constantly locks up because of the cheap ssd.

You can use windows memory tester or if you have 2 sticks of ram or more test each one on it's own.

wayno93

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

Crucial M500 256GB.

I ran memtest86 all night and had no errors, will look into windows memory tester though, thanks

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished

Does it crash when your cpu is at stock speeds?

Just because you can pass an 8 hr stress test does not mean your setup is stable!

Stress testing does not test graphic or audio load, you need to further continue to fine tune the overclock using benchmarking and gaming, which always requires additional CPU voltage.

Just because Billy Bobs hardware can run at 1.25v does not mean yours will, as all hardware overclocks differently.

If you're not supplying enough CPU voltage for the multiplier level you've overclocked to, it is not stable, and will do exactly what you are experiencing, and if you continue to run it that way will lead to file corruption.

Which by the way I guarantee you already have corrupted your graphics drivers.

ntsarb

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013

Have you found what was at fault? How did you solve it?

I experience exactly the same symptoms with my ASROCK X99 WS with i7 5820K and Team Elite DDR4 (@2400MHz XMP) even though it's running at stock speeds.