Build complete! First gaming pc build, suggestions

Badaboom423

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
So here it is! I bought all the parts in about a month, looking out for sales, so I was able to save around $400 which I used to buy a 1440p monitor. The 1000W PSU is because I plan on overclocking the CPU and the crossfired GPU. The full case is because the tri-x 290 are pretty big (about a foot long), I needed good air flow for the crossfire and wanted to have the space to easily manage my cables, plus I don't mind the big size.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nYsLFT

So what do you guys think? Should I have done anything differently?

Badaboom423

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

Why would you change those? Is there anything bad with what I chose?

TheMentalist

Distinguished
Your memory is good but the heatspreaders may be an issue. On some motherboards the hyper212 fit with the vengeance memory. I would go with the LP edition of the vengeance(there is no performance loss). Btw the hyper212 is a good cooler.
An SSD is optional, not required. But if you'll be spending so much money, than consider this one 830 Evo.

Graphiicz

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
The memory is overpriced for what you get. But it's not a massive problem. The cooler won't get you a very good overclock - I would've invested in something a little more expensive, especially with a motherboard like that. There are much cheaper options for the SSD that perform almost as well, such as the Crucial MX100.

Badaboom423

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

Well I actually haven't bought the ssd, I have a 1TB hdd and will be buying the ssd later on, but I thought the Samsung ones were the best... Am I wrong? As for the CPU overclocking, I don't need a HUGE overclock, if I think that I need it then I'll overclock. Is the difference in performance drastic between overclocking and not overclocking?

Badaboom423

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
So with me having no experience, do you guys think it'll be hard for me to assemble all of this? Also, is it easy to install an SSD after assembling everything? I was thinking of waiting till black friday and get a good deal on an SSD, but I don't know if it will be hard to install after everything's already in the case

Badaboom423

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

Just the SSD, everything else has been bought already. About building it and static, do I need to ground myself buying something at RadioShack or something? I've read about that but don't know too much. I also read that the desktop should not go on a carpet, is that right? I live in an apartment with carpet so I don't know if I'll need something to place the desktop on

Your case is enormous. I probably would have changed that personally. It will be LOUD, no matter what fans you use. You could have easily used a standard mid tower.

YOu need a hard surface to put the computer on. When building just touch the case every once in a while. No need for a static band or anything like that. Build on a hard surface, not carpet.

I would have gone with low profile RAM for sure.

The Hyper 212 EVO is better than the 212+ and costs the same.

No HDD is a mistake. That SSD needs to remain 20% free space and will be full FAST.

I would have gone for an XFX 850w PSU. MUCH more suited to this build, even when overclocked.

The fans you bought are not good case fans. They have high static pressure and are designed for watercooling radiators.

garl6

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
You can ground yourself by touching the metal of the case before handling components. Just be sure not to build while standing on carpet with socks or something. If you're really worried, anti-static wristbands cost like $5.

Try not to put your computer on the carpet. You can always get some boxes or pieces of wood to raise it like 6 inches off the ground if you can't avoid the carpet.

Graphiicz

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014

Yes, but it is still pointless when overclocking Haswell.

Just because it performs well for the price, doesn't necessarily mean it's always the best choice.

Graphiicz

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014

Yes, but the refresh chips are still known to have heat issues.

The point I'm making is a moderate overclock simply isn't worth the extra money spent.

The performance difference between say an i5-4460 and moderately overclocked i5-4690k is pretty negligible. It certainly isn't worth it when you compare the price difference between the two, plus a CPU cooler.

Moderate overclocking is for bragging rights and nothing more in most instances, unless you're using applications that will significantly benefit from higher clock speeds on your CPU.

xCrazi

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
You might have just wasted some cash you should've gotten 3 Msi Gaming r9 270X or just 2 280X Not sure but I read somewhere saying more 2 270x is just tad bit more peformance then the 290x which is double the price

This would have been a poor decision. That means WAY more heat and WAY more power needed. AN extra $100+ on the PSU alone. AND an $180 motherboard for good PCI lane speeds. AND plenty of games still don;t have crossfire support. It is pretty common knowledge to ALWAYS get the single most powerful card you can over 2 less powerful cards.