i7-4790k Noctua build temperature issues

webunicorn

Reputable
May 24, 2014
Greetings!
I had finished a build with a 4790k and thought it was going fine but started to be concerned with temp readings, which are ok idle but particularly bad in stress tests

Intel i7-4790K
GIGABYTE GA-Z97XUD3H
Noctua NH-D14
G Skill Sniper Ram
Corsair 400R case and Corsair 600W PSU

I've gotten up to 100C in long stress tests while the room was about 95F/35C. This test in the screenshot is only 3 minutes and the room is 80F. The case is open and there are some fans in it; the air in the case is cold. The Noctua heat sink, is it supposed to heat up under load? it doesn't do more than get to body temp warm. It probably gets hot with a longer test but I don't want to do it and get the CPUs too hot. I do think the Noctua is installed correctly, I did try cleaning and re-installing yesterday.

I'm very confused about what is normal for this CPU/cooling combination because people's results are all over the map. From what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong, the CPU is trying to reach 4.4 GHz, and it will keep raising voltage till it gets there. The voltage needed is different for different 4790Ks, and the heat is different some people can overclock heavily and some people can't.

I'm not overclocking though I just plugged it all in and ran Win 8. The temps, and the 1.37 voltage seem a bit higher than anyone else for that speed. Anyone have any tips for this, should I be looking at changing BIOS settings / voltage, or just more cooling?

2helpxf.png

I just found this thread, so you may have already fixed this issue. If not:

Yes those temps and voltage are way too high. Try removing the cooler, cleaning off both contact surfaces really well (use 99% alcohol by preference, and coffee filters and qtips), reapply the thermal paste in accordance with the instructions for the paste you're using, and reseating the cooler. Chances are you need to snug the cooler down more to make a good contact with the chips integrated heat sink.

If the voltages don't come down with the temps, you'll want to go into your BIOS and put a cap on the applied voltage. In fact, I'd do it anyway. You don't want to exceed 1.3, and 1.15 would be much more appropriate, especially if you aren't applying any kind of OC.