SilverStone's Grandia GD10 HTPC Case Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I think the GD08 (the predecessor) would be an amazing server case, because it fits 8 3.5" + 2 5.25" + 2 2.5" drives. And positive airflow means less dust problems from 24/7 operation. If I ever had a good use for one to justify the investment, 8 way raid on a general purpose workstation motherboard would be fantastic.

This (and the revamped gd09) look more like general purpose "desktops". I've used my Elite 130 rig as a monitor stand a few times already, these kinds of desktops can serve the same purpose, or go in an entertainment center. Looks like they have 240mm rad clearance on the side this time, making this more gaming pc is an unusual form factor than server or htpc.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I don't get it.
HTPC with a locked ODD and USB ports?
and you have to open the whole door to get to the USB ports too?

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Elegant? How much did you get paid to say that.

It's rectangle. Rectangles are elegant? It's plain, at best.
They got paid enough Tom's has had a hard-on for SilverStone the last 2-3 years. Same with Blizzard and a few other companies. Used to be a more reputable tech site than it is today now it's got too many paid endorsements sponsors and less earnest at times to end users as a result.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Something that I would like to see in HTPC cases or Intel NUC's or Gigabyte Brix's is a simple led clock on the front like the old vcr's used to have even a drive bay add on that has a clock on it.

FirionRAzar

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Something that I would like to see in HTPC cases or Intel NUC's or Gigabyte Brix's is a simple led clock on the front like the old vcr's used to have even a drive bay add on that has a clock on it.
The only thing not in an entire pc format that has an old style VCR clock is Scythe Kaze Chrono, a fan controler with a big clock up front.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
It is just a big clunky desktop case. If you put this in a cabinet the sideways vent may be blocked. Duh. . . . . I am stating the obvious. It is huge just buy a boxy tower and turn it on its side.

Dimensions for USA articles should be in inches. Is this asking too much?

Er, no..... but I would rather have them in Metric system and I live in the US.....

this is mainly due to the fact that inches is not precise enough as a "unit of measurement" when it comes to some computers parts.

Like when trying to figure out how much room you have for a cooler that you may really want in your case or maybe you need that precision if your putting a computer case in a tight space (why? I dont know but you know there are people out there that do just that.)

Yeah you could measure in inches..... although lets say you have a small case.... and the cooler you have looks like it a tight fit in that case.... Like it's under an inch of clearance between your cooler and the side panel of the case. Your going to want to know the millimeters.

Unless you really like saying "the case is 6.73228 inches wide (171mm) and my cooler is 6.25984 inches (159mm tall)", and the Mother board and standoff will add another .xx inches...

I really think the the metric system is far better than the "imperial system" (what the inches, yards, ect is under) for the tech area.

*using my xigmatek gaia cooler as if it was going to put it in this case as an example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082&cm_re=xigmatek_gaia-_-35-233-082-_-Product

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Dimensions for USA articles should be in inches. Is this asking too much?

Er, no..... but I would rather have them in Metric system and I live in the US.....

this is mainly due to the fact that inches is not precise enough as a "unit of measurement" when it comes to some computers parts.

Like when trying to figure out how much room you have for a cooler that you may really want in your case or maybe you need that precision if your putting a computer case in a tight space (why? I dont know but you know there are people out there that do just that.)

Yeah you could measure in inches..... although lets say you have a small case.... and the cooler you have looks like it a tight fit in that case.... Like it's under an inch of clearance between your cooler and the side panel of the case. Your going to want to know the millimeters.

Unless you really like saying "the case is 6.73228 inches wide (171mm) and my cooler is 6.25984 inches (159mm tall)", and the Mother board and standoff will add another .xx inches...

I really think the the metric system is far better than the "imperial system" (what the inches, yards, ect is under) for the tech area.

*using my xigmatek gaia cooler as if it was going to put it in this case as an example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082&cm_re=xigmatek_gaia-_-35-233-082-_-Product

Lets be honest here, metric is better than imperial in almost if not all aspects. The only instance where imperial may have some degree of use is when an object (which measures a whole number of imperial units mind you) needs to be divided by 3. Metric is not able to do that so easily.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008

They released a revamped GD09 at the same time that has an aluminum no-flip-panel front. Same price point and layout, you can just pick between which front you like.

I don't get it.
HTPC with a locked ODD and USB ports?
and you have to open the whole door to get to the USB ports too?

You obviously don't have toddler's running around your house.

It's meant to be a HTPC, Once it's all setup, all you have to do is plug your wireless keyboard mouse dongle into the back and leave it sitting there. This would work for me since i put everything on a NAS drive. However, for people without a NAS, a usb port and media card reader outside the cover would be nice for transferring pictures, movies etc.. It would be nice to just take the card out of my SLR camera and play a slideshow for family and friends.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I hate the door. A door with a lock makes this a server case not an HTPC. I also want air to come in through the front and out the back. If you put this in a cabinet with not much room on the sides the airflow will not work. Go find an engineer.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Generally when I say I want measurements in inches, I mean the overall dimensions of the case. I think we all just about know fans are like 60mm, 80mm, 120mm etc. Even drives are described in inches like 2.5, 5.5, 3.5. Fans are standard just leave that alone. I don't have a clue if you say the case is 320 mm deep or 420mm wide. I am not asking for much.

Status
Not open for further replies.