Can my PC handle it?

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
So as of now i have my first PC build, that i finished a few months back, as of then i was on a tight budget, and here are my current specs...
PCU - AMD FX 4300 3.80 GHz (Quad Core)
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 6670 2GB GDDR3
RAM - 8GB
PSU - http://www.ebay.com/itm/600-Watt-600W-ATX-Power-Supply-SATA-Dual-80mm-fans-Silent-for-Intel-AMD-PC-Unit-/271198844722?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item3f24b5f732
Case - The Rosewill Challenger
Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795&cm_re=Asus_micro_motherboard_AM3%2b-_-13-131-795-_-Product
And a 1TB hard drive.

NOW onto my question. i built this for gaming and i can run most of my current games decently, but as i play i notice more and more how sluggish the FPS is due to my cheap little GPU. SO ive gathered up a bit of money ($325) to spend on a new GPU so i can run games way faster and smoother, (like Farcry 3, Crysis 2 Maximum edition, Racing games like DIRT, and Splinter cell Blacklist, The Forest, Payday 2) ya know.. the fun good looking games (even the old stuff runs a tad slow with my current one, so i was wondering if i were to buy a GPU around 250 or 300 dollars would my PC perform much better as im hoping? or will i Bottleneck? which is a term i just came across, (im a PC convert from consoles haha) so ya i just dont want to waste my money and be disappointed. Any suggestions as far as a GPU goes? and will i need to upgrade other components to be able to enhance my gaming experience?

if you buy a gpu then obviously you will get good fps in games just oc your current cpu to avoid bottlenecking i wil recommend you to get a r9 270x and an aftermarket cooler for overclocking under your given budget..

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
So my CPU is the only thing that would cause bottlenecking in my case? and also i do not know how to OC, and as ive looked up how to in the past it seems very tedious, and easy to screw up and fry your parts.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you're upgrading to a much higher-powered GPU, you need to replace the junk power supply.

Even if that were a well-made PSU (it's not), it's not going to power much, with only 22A on the 12V rail (by comparison, the XFX 550, a well-made PSU for modern PCs, has 45A there).

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014

I was thinking the same thing but i wanted to make sure. and hear opinions/facts from other people

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's definitely brutal. Even if it were well made, 12v is pretty much all that matters these days. Only the lower-power parts, like the hard drive or the optical drive or any sound cards have any interest in the +3.3V or +5V rails and those use almost nothing when calculating the power you need for your system. That 600W, even if it was made with quality components is more or less a 250W power supply when it comes to modern PCs, the CPU and the GPU wanting juice off the 12v rail. If I'm not mistaken, the last CPU that wanted a beefy +5V rail was the Pentium IIIs that came out in the late 90s.