upgraded components, computer unable to run games.... help please

kbarner

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
recently upgraded my old system components, now computer is running worse than before??

CPU- went from an old intel pentium 2.2GHZ to an AMD A8-6600k APU
GPU- went from invidia 210 to the internal A8 GPU
RAM- went from 2gb ddr2 to 8gb ddr3
MOBO- not sure of what old mobo was, went to an MSI A88xs-gaming.
running 2 sata WD 250gb 5200k??
went from windows 7 to windows 8 as well.

before upgrade i could run games, just on minimum settings.... games consisted of skyrim, dragon age 2, civ 5, fable 3, kotor 1 and 2.
i tried running arma 3 and witcher 2, loadup screens would play good, but game itself was way too slow making it impossible to play.

with the new setup, i cannot run any of these games.... tried witcher 2 and the loadup screen would run extremely slow to where it was unwatchable.. skyrim wont even load to a new game. i tried both games on low settings, same thing, also tried running the invidia 210 still no dice.....

it doesn't make since to me that moving to a faster cpu and gpu would make games run slower? my old setup seemed to run games better... please help, i feel i just wasted 300$ for worse performance.

kbarner

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
also, running a 500w PSU
my DVD drive was unable to transfer over, so i was unable to install all drivers that came with the new MSI MOBO.... could this be a part of the problem?

PandaBear270

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

So you are running the GPU with the windows generic drivers?

kbarner

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
ok, well i installed the drivers from the dvd. i will go online to check for updates on graphic drivers.

when i did the install i had my hdmi cord plugged into my geforce 210. i powered down the system for restart and plugged my hdmi into the onboard hdmi port, now i cant get any display onboard, only through the 210.... do i need to reomove the 210 from the pci and try again, or do i need to change something in windows before powering down?

cry0g3n

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Does things start out good but eventually get worse? It could be a temperature (overheating) issue.
Are there any other programs running in the background that could slow down performance? Have you checked for virus/malware?

kbarner

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
slow from the start, i dont think it is a heat issue, i have the thermaltake contac 30 and im not overclocking...... its a fresh windows 8.1 install and i have not connected the computer to the internet at all yet, so i doubt it would be a virus/malware issue..... the motherboard came with norton, i will install it and run a scan to make sure.....

windows runs very well, no glitching or anything... just games wont run

kbarner

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
well after installing newest drivers from online, it didn't fix anything. so i tried uninstalling all games, restarted computer then re-installed all games.. now witcher 2 is running smooth on medium settings, and skyrim is running great on high settings!!!!!!

i guess the games needed to redetect the new drivers maybe????