Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don't know:(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ViruZHUN

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Hi!

I wonder what is the main differences? The price between them is kinda big in Sweden and I wonder why is it that bigger?
How much better do the 850 pro over the evo? The 850 pro have longer lifetime but I don't expect to use the same SSD more then 5 years anyways.

Will the prices go down? I am asking this because I don't expect any more SSDs by samsung this year so I will maybe grab a 850 pro. Eaither the 512 Gb or the 1 TB one. Depends on price. Since it is too big now.

So what makes the 850 pro a "much" better one?

/ViruZ

the 850 pro does have a longer life span. THis is because of their new 3d nand stacking technology which allows for more storage. The 840 evo is still a capable drive and will provide almost similar performance my two cents if its to big of a difference 840 evo if not 850pro

ViruZHUN

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

So basicly it got just longer life span? But what is the differences in life span? a 840 evo is meant to live at leats 10 years what I've heard

G

The 850 Pro (and the 840 Pro) are professional grade drives.
They're designed for great performance and long life-span.

The 840 Pro for example has sat at the top of pretty much every benchmark for donkeys years now.
The 850 isn't too much of an upgrade surprisingly (with its 3D NAND) but I suppose it makes sense since we're more or less at the limits of the SATA 3 6gb/s interface.

Does it warrant the extra dosh? Well that depends. Honestly SSDs last a hell of a long time even when not professional grade, sometimes longer than their rated amount of write cycles.
(There are tests across the web on this).

The 840 EVO is a very fast and very reliable consumer grade drive, infact, some benchmarks suggest it's slightly better in some tasks compared to the 840 Pro. It's also a bit more recent.

If you're thinking you want a decent SSD then you'd be hard pressed to find a better one, and indeed better deal, than the EVO drives. They sit at the top of most price/performance benchmarks for a reason. Narrowly sharing the seat sometimes with the SanDisk Ultra Plus II.

Things are moving more towards PCIe storage now so it's unlikely we'll see many significant upgrades in the 2.5" drive in the near future. I think you'd be happy with either drive tbh
Both the EVO and the Pro line are going to give you a great computing experience. If you intend to be using heavy work loads (like writing several GBs a day) then go for the Pro.

You could also look at some of the new Intel drives.