Replace failed SATA 2 HDD with SATA 3 on RAID 1

I have a failed SATA 2 HDD 32MB on RAID 1. I ordered a replacement 1TB SATA 2 HDD from Amazon but it was dead on arrival. So, can someone suggest if it is ok to replace the failed HDD with a SATA 3. If yes, does it matter if I get a 64MB, if my current (good) HDD is 32MB?

I have read posts where it says it's ok to replace SATA 2 with SATA 3, but is that good for RAID 1 too? And, then does 64MB make a difference? Or, am I better off buying two SATA 3 and rebuilding the RAID?
4 answers Last reply
More about replace failed sata hdd sata raid
  1. Yes RAID will work with all kinds of storage devices, it's just recommended to use two or more of the same device. SATA 3 is just a revised version of SATA 2 with higher throughput so it should work well.

Buying two SATA 3's would result in quicker data transfer so it's recommended but I dont know exactly how big of a difference SATA 2 is from SATA 3 in real world situations. All I know is SATA 2 runs at 3.0 Gbits/sec and SATA 3 runs at 6.0 Gbits/sec. Should provide with a overall larger and quicker RAID config.
  2. Thanks. So, I take that 64mb would work too with 32mb?
  3. Yes it will.
  4. Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

SATA Storage Hard Drives NAS / RAID