Is RAID 0 worth it?

BottledDew

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Hi!

I own a MSI GT60 dominator laptop. Recently, the RAID 0 crashed and I sent it in for repairs. I'm wondering if I should stay with the current RAID 0 configuration or just have two separate hard drives?

I do gaming and a lot of video editing, so bigger storage is valuable. So, I'm wondering is doing RAID 0 worth risking a crash again?

Thanks!

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Depends if you care about keeping your files when something like that happens. Know that if one of your drives is beyond repair, all your files in the RAID config are lost. Unless you use RAID 1, which copies all the files to each drive (you'll need some pretty big drives though), depends on you.

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
It depends on the condition of the drive and what the source of the problem is. Bad sectors on the drive will end up making the data on a drive go into a RAW format, which is unreadable to Windows (and you won't be able to access them without formatting the drive. Formatting = erasing everything on the drive). If the drive ends up going back online again, back up your stuff as soon as possible. It could be the beginning of the end for your drive.