Is RAID 0 worth it?

BottledDew

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Hi!

I own a MSI GT60 dominator laptop. Recently, the RAID 0 crashed and I sent it in for repairs. I'm wondering if I should stay with the current RAID 0 configuration or just have two separate hard drives?

I do gaming and a lot of video editing, so bigger storage is valuable. So, I'm wondering is doing RAID 0 worth risking a crash again?

Thanks!

-Feel free to correct me on something if I am wrong.

It depends. As long as you have a backup you should be fine. I like to make an Image Backup of my OS drive on my gaming and Media Server/ Daily PC (Sucker only uses 60 watts compared to my 350 watt monster).

The thing is if a RAID 0 Fails its usualy because of hard drive failure which unless you are running a RAID 1, it can't protect you from anything. A RAID 1 would have better Read speeds where a RAID 0 has better write speeds. I have 2 2Tb in a RAID 0 but i have a 4TB drive that i backup too (This drive is strictly a storage drive for video so it doesn't get a whole lot of attention all the time unless i watch something)

But if a RAID 0 has the OS, and all your files and you do have an image back to recover from it might not be the best Idea.