File permissions on NAS

Chris Cassil

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Windows 7 and 8 but I'll start with Win8. Qnap NAS TS-219PII. I have a NAS with a single admin account I connect to from my laptop in which I am the admin on too. My laptop auto logs in so there is no password. My NAS allows me to see it on my network when I look for it but if I try to drop a file into it's multimedia directory, it says I need permission to do it. The folder is shared on my NAS but on my laptop I can only log into the NAS if I user a browser and log in via the web.

How do I allow myself on my own laptop the ability to drop files into the NAS multimedia directory? Can't I use the admin account on my laptop to log into the admin account on my NAS or do I have to create another user on my laptop and log in as it all the time and create a user on my NAS and log into that all the time just to have matching credentials? I'm not good at permissions. I've always used my admin accounts. I received some help but the pros seemed to get too frustrated with my lack of knowledge. I guess it's 101 stuff. Can someone walk me through steps of what to do?

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
I have an old qnap nas. I generally find the permissions are straight forward enough to set in the NAS web interface (the bit where you create folders.

Remember the account permissions are local to the nas not the laptop.

I generally find if i connect to the NAS in windows explorer it will ask for a password the first time, I log in with the NAS account details, it then caches them for quite some time. "\\[nas ip]" from Run.

You can open the nas up completely so you dont need authentication though I wouldn't recommend it.