Oblivion lags even on lowest settings? Please help :(

severrak

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
I decided to play oblivion for some nostalgia and for some reason it lags on my pc even though I should be able to run it on highest with no problems. I've played before on this computer and didn't experience any lag. I get from anywhere around 30 to 40 fps in places with npcs and 20 in the certain parts of the forest for some reason.

Specs:
CPU:Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz
GPU:Nvidia Geforce GT 650m
RAM: 6GB
Resolution:1600x900

Ive tested on multiple sites and they all say I can run at highest settings with no lag problems.

Solution
6 minutes is pretty short for a bump. Be patient. Anyway, do you have V-Sync turned on? TESIV is an older game, and I don't think it supports triple buffering, so if you have V-Sync on then anytime your game begins to get anywhere under 60 fps, your frames will immediately drop to 30 fps. If your PC can't render at least 30 fps at that point, you'll then immediately drop to 20 fps, followed by 15, then 10, and so on.

To fix this, you could turn off V-Sync, but rather than that, go into the Nvidia control panel. Then select "Manage 3D Settings". On that page, select the "Program Settings" tab, and on the drop down find Oblivion. With Oblivion selected, scroll down all the way to your V-Sync option. From there, click on the drop...

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
6 minutes is pretty short for a bump. Be patient. Anyway, do you have V-Sync turned on? TESIV is an older game, and I don't think it supports triple buffering, so if you have V-Sync on then anytime your game begins to get anywhere under 60 fps, your frames will immediately drop to 30 fps. If your PC can't render at least 30 fps at that point, you'll then immediately drop to 20 fps, followed by 15, then 10, and so on.

To fix this, you could turn off V-Sync, but rather than that, go into the Nvidia control panel. Then select "Manage 3D Settings". On that page, select the "Program Settings" tab, and on the drop down find Oblivion. With Oblivion selected, scroll down all the way to your V-Sync option. From there, click on the drop down for V-Sync and select "Adaptive" and hit apply. Now, anytime you drop below 60 fps, V-Sync will turn off, so you won't immediately drop to 30 fps. If you already have V-Sync disabled in game, this won't help you at all and all I can recommend is to turn down some graphical settings -- assuming it's not your CPU bottlenecking you (which it probably isn't... probably).

Solution