Weird problem in crysis 2

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I generally play crysis 2 with my keyboard and rarely play it with my gamepad. One time my keyboard stopped responding and i had to unplug it and i noticed my fps rose from 18 to 60 fps and i was like dafauq. When i reconnected my keyboard it went down to 18 fps again. So i disconnected my keyboard and played with my gamepad at 60fps but since i cant play fps with a gamepad, i need to solve this problem. can anyone help? :)

Vynavill

Honorable
I'll just ignore the fact you just stated about playing a FPS game at 20 fps...

Do you perhaps own one of those ultra-keyboards with plenty of extra functions, macros and flashy eye candy? It could be your cpu is struggling to keep up with the amount of data...
This is kinda similar to what happened with my old underclocked/undervolted i5-2500 (due to stability issues).

In the last year I've bought a Steelseries Sensei RAW mouse, which has an hardware switch to literally double command polling rate. Each time I did that and tried moving my mouse fast, cpu load would spike at 100% and my games would run slower. Recently switched to an i5-4670 and it doesn't happen anymore.

So yeah, what's your cpu model?

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
to be frank my keyboard is super cheap. since my older keyboard went bad i bought a 4$ keyboard to suffice my needs, i play bf3 at 40-50 on ultra with no keyboard lag. Will buying a ps2 keyboard solve it? or is it my hardware problem?

Vynavill

Honorable
If it's a super cheap keyboard, then this is not the issue whatsoever. High performance gaming peripherals either have an embedded processor or use your PCs hardware, but this is not your case.
There would also be no reason for buying PS2 peripherals if you already got USB, as you would be actually switching back to an older technology.

If you can play other games without issues however, then it's either an incompatibility between the gpu (be it related to the gpu model itself or the driver) and the game, or a non updated game, at least IMO.
Just in case, can you post your full pc specs? Also, have you already checked for video driver updates or game updates?

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
intel e8500, gtx750ti oc edition, gigabyte g31m-es2l, 4gb ddr3, win 7 x64, and yes everything is updated. I used a gt210 earlier and found no performance enhancement in crysis 2 until i unplugged my keyboard.

Vynavill

Honorable
A 210 shouldn't even be able to run crysis 2 properly on lowest settings...you wouldn't be able to get over 30 on lowest settings at 800x600 IMO...
A 750 is all a different music, and should be able to play medium low settings at a decent resolution.

This brings us to the main question and to the fact you either omitted something or I didn't get your issue entirely... Coincidentally, one question opens a whole world entirely.
Why are you trying to play a game like crysis 2 on a GPU like the 210 when you've got a 750?
Is the 210 perhaps a laptop gpu? And if so, why are you using an external keyboard in the first place?
Is the issue presenting itself on the 210, on the 750, or on both?

Sorry for the flurry of questions, but I really feel like we're missing something here :p

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
i used to have a gt210 and played the game on low settings that is 'high' in term of crysis 2 and now i upgraded to a gtx750ti and now i tend to play the game on high that is 'extreme' in terms of crysis 2. But i am having the same performance between the two gpus on crysis 2 until i unplulg my keyboard. When i disconnect my keyboard i get a fps of 61 constant on my gtx750ti. the issue is on the both gpus, i do not expect the 210 to score 60 fps on even low but it managed to pump 30 fps. Now i dont use the 210.

Vynavill

Honorable
Ok, another thing or two. Does your keyboard have any extra buttons? (e.g. buttons to directly access your music, images, email, default browser, etc...)
If so, try all of these 3, otherwise you can skip option 1 stated below:
1 - Keyboards with extra buttons usually come with extra drivers. Try installing them (if you don't have them) or updating them (if you do have them).
2 - If it's a USB keyboard, try updating your chipset drivers. They should be available at your motherboard's product page, on gigabyte's website.
3 - if your motherboard supports them natively (meaning you don't have to use any adapter), try getting a barebones PS2 keyboard. That means just the common letter set + function keys, arrows and the numpad. They should go for lower than 15$ by now.

By googling for a while most people I found having this issue either had non-updated drivers or keyboards with extra/macro buttons. So for now these are your best bets.

^That. See if you can get one or borrow from a friend.

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
My keyboard is just a cheap 4$ keyboard with all the staple things and nothing flashy. I also have an old ps2 keyboard but it does not start when windows is loaded but that keyboard was good. Anyone knows the fix? Anyways, is the ps2 keyboards faster then the usb counterparts? i heard rumors.

I don't think PS/2 keyboards are faster than USB. In fact, I think they're both the same speed, more or less.
I still use a PS/2 keyboard. Main difference being able to enter bios with PS/2 than with a USB. But I think newer BIOS versions support USB too.

Did you try the chipset drivers that vynavill asked you to try and re-install?

Vynavill

Honorable
Regarding speed and power output, USB and PS2 ports have no difference. Also both can enter bios on any system by now, unless it's something VERY old dating back to i386 times...
What's different about them is that, while PS2 has a fixed command polling rate and a more "direct feed" to the system, so to speak, USB has a variable one and must be sustained by USB BUS reads made by the CPU.

The former can usually achieve very good results in terms of response time and input lag, and has a minimal impact on the CPU while requiring a minimally decent chipset (with updated drivers). The latter, on the other hand, can far exceed it if you increase command polling rate, but will need a fast chipset (with updated drivers) and a more beefy CPU the more you increase it. On old or not sufficiently powerful systems, at least from my experience, this can cause an USB peripheral to hog the CPU and make anything else run slower.

This usually happens with high performance keyboards however, which usually have extra function buttons, or gaming peripherals, which usually sport an higher polling rate for better responsiveness. It simply cannot happen with an economical, barebones 5$ keyboard.

It's a matter of choosing what's best for you really; USB provides flexibility, PS2 will pretty much work on anything you throw at it. I also advised not using an adapter out of personal opinion, as chipsets can switch back and forth on the fly.

Go on ahead and try updating your chipset drivers.

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
yep i updated it but still no change. with keyboard 19fps and with gamepad( unplugged keyboard) 60fps. Its a really annoying thing . Really confused. multiplayer is hell for me.

Vynavill

Honorable
I missed the part about the non-working PS/2 keyboard, I actually understood you tried and it didn't work...

If you can, try getting one off a friend which is proven to be fully working. If the issue presents itself even with a keyboard like that, we could switch this issue onto the motherboard.

Edit: forgot something. If the joypad is plugged into a back USB port, then the above doesn't apply, and there could be something wrong with the generic driver used for the keyboard. If the joypad is, however, plugged into a front USB port, then it could be the motherboard, and I highly invite you in testing the keyboard on such port.
A good night's sleep kinda made me feel like I jumped a bit too soon onto the motherboard train...

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
i have 2 mobos, one g41m and one g31m. The g41m is crap but i tested crysis 2 on that and its the same thing. Now i use the g31m which is older but overclockable and a good motherboard. So i hardly think its the mobo. vynavill, u mentioned the generic drivers? what type of generic drivers?

Vynavill

Honorable
Anything not using a specific driver from the original electronics manufacturer will use a generic driver given by Microsoft instead. All these drivers are usually installed during OS installation, and offer just a very basic functionality, while usually giving a truckload of issues for anything requiring even a minimal extra function. As a matter of fact and as an example, any video card can work on any computer thanks to generic drivers, but try firing up a game with them and the only things you will run flawlessly will be MS-DOS games...

Here is why, for any product whatsoever related to PCs, if OEM drivers are available you should install them, and keep default ones only when such drivers aren't available.

I still insist in trying with a PS/2 keyboard which is proven to be working. Otherwise, another extra step you can take is trying to reinstall keyboard drivers from the OS disk.

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Ok i will try with the ps2 if i get it :p, if os by u mean my windows 7, then i dont have it cause i took it from a friend. Is there a common keyboard driver or a particular keyboard driver acc to my mobo or os version? And since my keyboard is a very basic one with only the manual to how to connect the keyboard, i think it dosent have that particular driver.

Vynavill

Honorable
Drivers will be installed from the system folder if you do like that. I advised the OS disk because there's less of a chance to get a bad driver, as the one that comes from the OS installation might have got corrupted for any unknown or unsaid reason...

Good point.

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
it worked guys, i also found some controller stuff in the crysis folder which was the primary cause. Now i am rocking multiplayer at 60fps and got 2 promotion in 4 matches. :) thanks a lot guys for ur time. :)