• I5 4670k

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Amd 8350

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

jonnycoombs

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Hello I am looking to upgrade from my ageing Amd phenom x4 965 and I have been looking at the core i5's and the eight core Amd chips. The thing is with the Amd processor I can get it for about £100 as I already have a good Am3+ motherboard and just the new proccessor in and be good to go. Where as with the Intel it would cost around £60 more for the CPU in the first place and then another £40-£50 for a good 1150 board to go with it so in total the i5 would cost £200. I would like to know whether there is a big enough performance difference to be worth almost double the price. I am looking to mostly game and browse the web also my gpu is a 280x. Thanks in advance for any responses:)

DubbleClick

Admirable
For gaming, the i5 would be better, especially in single core games. But the performance win wouldn't justify 100 bucks difference, especially not if you might do heavy multitasking or rendering in future. So yeah, go with the 8320/8350 and grab a non-stock cooling solution. Even ones around 15 pounds should do well enough, unless you intend overclocking, then you should plan on around a bit more. Somewhere in the middle (price wise, performance is pretty great for my q6600 on 1.37v vcore and really okay for my i7 4790k (65c in torture tests)) would be the scythe mugen 4 for ~25 pounds or the pcgh edition (basically the same, just another fan - both running at max 800rpm which you absolutely can't hear) for a buck more.
If you're looking at heavy OC, though, you should probably go with one of the Noctua NH-D14 beasts or even stronger.

Generally I'd advise going intel.

Which motherboard do you currently have? If it's capable of overclocking the 8350 then I'd keep it - if not, I'd sell it on and get the intel option. I feel it's worth it.

Karthik Ga

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Intel i5 would be premium :) but if u really want to play with CPU then buy 8350 and overclock it by using liquid coolers:)Motherboard cost will not change for different CPUs( not much of difference i mean).

VenBaja

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008

Wait, is he buying to "play with the CPU", as you put it? Or is he buying a CPU to play games? I usually buy to play things WITH the CPU, not to play with the CPU itself.

OP, if you're looking for a pet project that you can dink around with and overclock, get the FX. If you want and can afford a better CPU, get the Intel.

It's really all about your budget and needs though. If you do a lot of gaming, and $100 is chump change...Intel 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Karthik Ga

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

please dont try translating it literally;)