Fractal Design Define R4 & SLI

ej13

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Would this be a good case for GTX560 Ti X 2 SLI setup?

I like the noise deadening properties and think it would have adequate room for my needs but am wondering about heat and the noise of the GPU fans defeating the sound qualities and causing an overheating problem..

I use a liquid CPU cooler an SSD and three HD. Blu-ray dvd.

My system s an i5 with a P8P67 motherboard.

If this is not a good solution - would the CM haf X be overkill? I like the idea of being able to hot swap drives.

I have a GTX 770 SLI in the R4. There's plenty of room and if you have adequate case fans you can keep your GPU fans down to a moderate level. I've got Noctua 140mm case fans - 2 in front, 1 rear, and 1 top/rear. And an NH-D14 on i5-4670K/Hero VI.

During benchmarking, if I crank up the case fans to about 85% (louder but not loud), I can keep the GPU fans to 65% or less and still keep the hotter card at 68C or less.

ej13

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for you reply. I ordered the case yesterday and two extra 140 mm Fractal silent fans.

I was thinking of putting one in the side to blow on the GPU's

If you use the side fan as an intake, you're probably going to run into a problem with harmonics created by the air being sucked through the honeycomb grill. Works fine as exhaust though. If you have non-reference cards, an exhaust fan in the side can help pull the hot air away from them, instead of permeating the rest of the case.