Looking for More Ways to Take Advantage of My Desktop's Hardware Capability

Falling Rayne

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Hello, everyone!

So here's my situation. I have a desktop computer that is, while not filled with the newest tech, rather high end when it comes to capability. Let me give you some specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 8150 (8 Core, 8 Thread, 3.6-4.2GHz)
RAM: 32GB DDR3 RAM
GPU 1: ASUS AMD HD7790 (2GB GDDR5 memory)
GPU 2: XFX AMD HD7750 (1 GB GDDR5 memory - not crossfired, just used for extra video ports)
PSU: Corsair CX750M (750W)
Displays: 6 Dell 20" 2009W LCD Displays (arranged 3 wide by 2 tall)

As you can see, this is no standard "bought it at Best Buy" machine. However, aside from running virtual machines and shamelessly keeping upward of 200 Chrome tabs open, I end up feeling like a lot of this computer's capability is wasted.

I am currently studying for a degree in IT, and hoping to go for a Masters in Computer Science beyond that, so with that in mind, I wanted to know if anyone here had any ideas of more ways I could utilize my desktop's horsepower, particularly to the effect of gaining experience with applications or systems that I may see in a corporate environment, or just generally something that can help me further or expand my computer knowledge - maybe even direct me towards an aspect or avenue of computer science I hadn't considered or possibly wasn't even aware of.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas relating to this, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks in advance for all responses!

-Sean

USAFRet

Titan
I know you mentioned VM's...but yes, VMs.

Learn Linux
Set up a multi server network (AD, DC, Exchange, multiple clients)
Set up a client-server database project (and actually make something)
Build a fail over environment. And test it.