Mini ITX gaming build cooling

Sudeep Gupta

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
I have gone through a lot of posts on this forum itself and others as well. From what I could gather, mini ITX systems are the way to go for compact enthusiast level gaming rigs on the lines of what are offered by Alienware.

I myself have put together this configuration.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6GvZ99
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6GvZ99/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z87I GAMING AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($165.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.38 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $984.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Now,I have got most of the things right(or this is what I would like to assume, if not then correct me where I went wrong). However, the main thing which bugs me with this configuration is the cpu cooling.

Should I go with the stock cooling fan? Should I settle with a air cooling solution by cooler master, or should I go for liquid cooling? Is liquid cooling really necessary in my case, given the fact that I am not overclocking my CPU?

I would also like help on deciding the air venting of the case. The front fan is obviously intake. What direction should the other fans be? And should I go for rear fans?

Ryan Wee

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
Sudeep,

The stock CPU cooler should do you fine. But I suggest that you go for an aftermarket solution, since they will last longer and cool better. Considering that you are working with a mini-ITX case, I think a pre-filled liquid cooler like the H80i from Corsair would be better since they are normally more low-profile than conventional heatsinks which are massive. They also tend to be more quiet when compared to air cooling solutions.

I'd say that you keep the side fan slots empty so your GPU fans could draw air in through the side. If you are working with liquid cooling, mount the radiator in the front with either push or pull configuration (Or both if they fit). Remember to use SP optimized fans. This means that you will replace the stock 140mm fan that comes with the case. Add two 80mm fans on the back and I guess that would be enough since you won't be overclocking.

Try Noctua fans, I personally don't like the colour but they are really silent and powerful. Another great alternative (Better looking one too) would be Corsair or BeQuiet.

Hope this helped, good luck ;)

TRENDING THREADS