motherboard for am3+ m-atx

_Lime

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
i have been looking around trying to make a sub $1000 (Canadian dollar) m-ATX PC(the main reason for the m-ATX is to keep it small for LAN parties, among others). i would really like to use AMD CPUs such as the FX-6300 or FX-8350 but there seems to be a lack of am3+ m-ATX boards. i can only find two boards that are appealing options.(gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 and asus M5A78L-M/USB3). both of these boards are okay but they both have a small number of USB3 ports and headers (2-4) and also have no SATA 6GB headers, as well as no crossfire or SLI. the later two don't matter as much at the moment but i would like to be able to upgrade this PC over time such as adding an SSD or a second video card. i am wondering first of all why this is the case and why there are so few boards and second of all should i buy one of these boards now and upgrade the board when a new am3+ board comes out or should i switch to Intel. only problem with Intel is that there is no way of getting the same performance for the price of ether of these CPUs.

all responses are helpful and if anyone knows of a good Intel counterpart to the mentioned CPUs and/or good motherboards to accompany them i would be thankful.

SpectreUnleashed

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
To be honest, you do not have much choices if you want AM3+ socket with uATX from factor. That specified types only use 760 chipsets which is pretty old and will not be supported in close future. AMD is producing new updates for 770 and up. I have managed to find a MOBO with 880 chipset for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157292

However, if were you, I would buy an ATX MOBO with 990FX chipsets. Because, FX series work best with 990FX chipsets. For the LAN parties, I would buy a laptop, however, it may be out of your budget.

Conclusion, if you decide to buy AM3+, uATX, you better know that in close future you may need to replace it.

Edit: MOBO in the link is very vulnerable and it is not durable. According to reviews it is having hard times with even FX-8350. People say, it downclocks the 8350 since it cannot keep up with even 70 Celsius of heat. Manufacturer replied and said "8350 is not supported due to wattage it uses."