AMD HD 6970 reports -128*c and fan at 100%.

CAdroitS

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
I've encountered a problem where my Sapphire brand HD 6970 (purchased 3 years ago) assumes 100% fan speed as soon as I hit the power button on my PC. The temperature indicator in the CCC constantly reports -128*c, and other monitoring programs do not report any temp for my GPU. It never had temp issues before, and would only reach about 70*c at 100% activity. I've tried manipulating the fan speed controls but they can no longer control it, re-installing all my video drivers, virus scan for a bit coin miner, and cleaned the inside of my card. This exact scenario has occurred once before in my PC, and after doing the same trouble shooting with no effect the problem seemed to fix itself on its own a couple hours later.

My best guess is that the temperature monitor on my video card is somehow failing, but I have no experience with this particular issue.

Any thoughts?

CAdroitS

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
The problem managed to fix itself once again, it started reporting the correct temperatures and the fan speed went back to normal. But recently it failed again and has yet to fix itself, I'm afraid it may be permanently stuck this way.