What cooler should I get for overclocking an i5 4690k?

rapiergv

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
What cooler would you recommend for OC'ing an i5 4690k? I haven't been able to find lots of resources for OCing Devil's Canyon CPUs yet, but I think I've read somewhere that they run a bit more hot than Haswell, so I'm willing to go a bit deeper into the price range than, let's say, just a CM Hyper 212 EVO.

So far my options are as follows (judging by what the store I'm buying the components from has):

Cheapest options:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Scythe Ashura (I can also get Scythe Ashura Shadow but it seems it's just an aesthetic difference between them, I'm just interested in performance)

Having decent temperatures in Load OC is important to me, and from benchmarks I've seen that the 212 EVO lets the CPU get quite hotter than (much more) expensive counterparts. I don't mind spending the extra bucks to get something better

Mid-tier options:
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Noctua NH-U12S
be quiet! Dark Rock 3 (no PRO version available)

One of these would be ideal, but it seems like an U14 or D14 is always recommended in reviews

High-end options:
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Noctua NH-U14S
Noctua NH-D14

I can stretch my budget BARELY to get one of these. I know there are tons of reviews and resources praising the D14. I know the U14 is a lighter version, but if I'd had to choose, I'd go with the D14 because it has better performances, and I don't think the stress on the motherboard could actually damage it or something (if it helps, this is the mobo I'll use: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5).

For the Dark Rock Pro 3, I've read about some clearance issues, I'm not sure how that will affect me, but I'm getting Corsair Vengeance Low Profile RAM, but will also gonna stick a fairly big Radeon 290 Tri-X in there, all in a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 case. What also annoys me with the Dark Rock Pro 3 is that in quite a few benchmarks there's no direct comparison between it and the D-14 or U-14S. Take this one, for example. The only Noctua competitor here is the NH-U12S. What's that all about?

In a few of the reviews I've seen comparing the two, the DRP3 seems to be slightly better.

So, to sum it up (sorry for the long post!), what should I go with? Is this a battle between DRP3 and D14? Do I have enough clearance with the following configuration:

(PROCESSOR: i5 4690K 3.5GHz)
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
GRAPHICS CARD: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 OC Tri-X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP
CASE: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

As a side note, do you think a Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W is enough for trying to OC?

Thank you!

LATER EDIT
I see that the mobo I was going with is present on the DRP3 compatible mobo list, so that's good to know.

Regarding the case, do you guys think the Arc Midi R2 is good, in terms of airflow and mounting a DRP3 in it (I know it has the clearance, 180mm max)? Do you feel a Carbide 500R White (adding White not because of color preference, but because it has an extra top dust filter) would do the job better (I know the 500R also has the clearance, barely, at 170mm)?

watafak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
each and everyone of these coolers will be awesome. But if u decide to go corsair i will give u my results here.
i5 4690k - corsair h100i = overclocked to stock voltage at 4.4ghz stable. After 4 hours on prime95 the max temprature i had was 63Celcius.
mobo is msi gaming 7.

rapiergv

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

I get that, I was just wondering how it fares in relation to the DRP3. Some benchmarks suggest the DRP3 is slightly better. I can by either of them as they're almost identically priced, so even small differences are useful for me to make a decision

Unfortunately, the store I'm buying from doesn't have a DH15, for example.

I'm much more comfortable with an air cooling solution honestly, I'm spending quite a lot on my build (relative to what I usually spend) and I'm really worried about that offchance of leakage.

rapiergv

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

It's a local (somewhat) store, not buying from somewhere big like newegg or something. I'm not sure if the information would help.

It has the following similiarly-priced air coolers:

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Cooler Master V8 GTS
Thermalright HR-22
Noctua NH-U14S
Noctua NH-D14
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
ID-Cooling FI-REEX deluxe

No H100 over at the watercooling solutions, only a H90

rapiergv

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

So your recommendation would be to pick that over DH14 and the Dark Rock Pro 3 ?

rapiergv

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

Just curious so I'm making an educated choice. Why would you say the DH-14 is better than the Dark Rock Pro 3?

MattJanach

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

Would you mind sharing your OC settings? I am getting a unstable OC using the OC Genie feature on my MSI Gaming GD 65 board and i5 4690k.