I built my dream system, why am I still lagging?

Nsteadmon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
Recently I finished building my dream set-up, and to my dismay, I am still receiving frame lag.

My setup is as follows :
CPU - Intel i7 4960X
GPU - Nvidia GTX Titan Black
Ram - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb ( 4 x 4 )
MoBo - Asus X79 Deluxe LGA 2011
I game on my ASUS VG278HE Black 27" and my secondary monitor is just a standard 24" WS

I play quite a few graphic intense MMORPG's. It's not uncommon for me to be gaming on the main monitor and have either a guide playing on Youtube, or watching a stream on Twitch on the secondary monitor. If there is anything at all on the secondary monitor, moving through any world or trying to play any graphically intense game on the main screen creates substantially noticable lag, spikes, and occasional screen tearing. If i close out everything on the 2nd monitor, performance goes back to what seems should be normal on the main monitor.

Is this rig not powerful enough to watch a Youtube music video and game at the same time? I do have liquid cooling, and I have downloaded Cpu-z and Gpu-z to monitor performance levels and everything seems to look normal. I have downloaded, redownloaded and performed clean installs of all drivers. I built the system from scratch and it's only a few months old. These problems only occur when I put a graphics load on each monitor.

I have exhausted my resources trying to fix this problem and have come up with nothing, I am hoping the great community here at TomsHardware has some insight, and can help me resolve my issues.

Thank you for your time.

Are you using Vsync? If no, turn it on. If your monitors are different resolution this can cause issues as well. Your rig is stupid overkill for what you want to do and should easily max games and watch youtube. This is NOT a performance issue. It is software/driver related.

What are your CPU and GPU temps at LOAD?

Nsteadmon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
SanDisk Ultra 120Gb SSD
The main monitor connects through a DVI-D cable. The secondary monitor connects through a standard DVI cable.
Windows 7 Home Premium

Nsteadmon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014

Vsync is always on, both monitors run at 1920 x 1080.

Nsteadmon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
I can't recall exact temps for the CPU and GPU. I seem to recall seeing the GPU hovering around 55-60 during a full load, and that being about the same on the CPU. I'll have to run more tests tonight after work to get exact numbers.

Those temps sound fine.

This computer is complete and utter overkill for your needs and should easily handle what you are doing. It is so powerful that it will be out of date before you can even use it to it's full potential.

Nsteadmon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
It's the latest version released by Asus. To keep my video drivers up to date, I use the Nvidia Experience program. It seems to be working fairly well so far. Would it be beneficial for me to upgrade my version of Windows at all?

Nsteadmon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
It was suggested that I try disabling Hardware Acceleration in the browser. Last night after changing the setting and spending most of the night on the computer, everything seems to be working perfectly! I'm not even quite sure what Hardware Accleration does, but for now, the issue seems to be resolved. Everything is running flawlessly. Thank you so much for all the help and the insight.