New AMD build, general thoughts, advice, recommendations etc

CJ Carson

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Hi all, as the title suggests, I'm getting ready to start a new AMD build in the next couple of weeks and I'm looking for some general advice and your opinions. The final build will be used largely for gaming, but also video, music, and some light photo editing, basically it's an all rounder.

Motherboard: So, I decided on the Asus Crosshair V, Formula-z for the motherboard, I know it's pricey, but this will be my 3rd Crosshair motherboard and I've never had any problems with any of them, so I think it's a solid base to start with and pleanty of upgrade potential later on.

Processor: AMD FX-8350 4ghz. I was originally going to go for the 9590, but the 220w would mean I have to go with water cooling (probably the Corsair h100i) and with the extra cost of the processor and water cooling, it really eats into my budget. Also, I already have a Noctua NH-D14 with my current build that I can move over since it's also AM3. That being said, the thing is utterly massive and even covers my ram, which I've never been fond of. Thoughts? I'd like to avoid water cooling since I have no intention of overclocking.

GPU: Asus R9 270X Direct CUII TOP 2GB. Should I consider the R9 280x? Or even an nVidia alternative for a similar price? Bearing in mind, I only use a single monitor setup which will be 1920x1080 (1200 if i don't upgrade my monitor).

RAM: G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX. Alternatives?

Storage: SSD Crucial 480GB M500, Alternatives?

Monitor: I want to go larger, I currently have an old Samsung Syncmaster T240, and it's done me proud, but the colours are awful and it's time for a change. I was looking at the Asus VX279Q 27" LED - IPS 1920x1080. Anybody have a same quality for less alternative? More for the same price?

PSU: I currently have an old Corsair HX1000 that I've used for my last 2 builds. It's been a real trooper, with no problems at all. But it's over 5 years old now, do you think I should replace it now before it gives up the ghost? Ideas on replacement? PS, The thing is huge and totally overkill, lol.

Case: I wasn't planning on changing my case. Its the same age as my PSU, back from my first build. An Antec 1200. I love it, but it's so outdated now compared to newer cases with side mounted HDDs, screwless mounting, usb 3.0, better cable management etc. I'd be looking for a full tower case, with front fans, top fan, dust filters and ultimately simple, yet mean looking like my Antec 1200. All the cases I've looked at seem a little too flashy for me with the exception of the Corsair cases which do look quite nice. I was thinking about renewing all of the fans and doing some basic mods for cable management; giving it a new lease of life. What do you think?

Sorry it's so long winded, but thanks for any help and advice you can provide!

Twirlz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I would downgrade your 8350 and get a 8320 instead. The 8320 is pretty much the same processor, just clocked lower. This means you can save money by overclocking the processor, which with a Noctua NH-D14 should keep temperatures cool. You can then use the money you saved to maybe get a better GPU such as a 280 or 280X :)

CJ Carson

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for that, already saved over £10 on my SSD lol. I like the Radeon 280, it would give me more headroom for newer games as they're released. Just a bit more of a sting in my back pocket.

I'd really like to avoid overclocking at all, and just have the most stable system I can get out of the box. It would be a saving of £25 though, definitely something to consider before purchase.

I think I've decided on a new case, Corsair Carbide 500R