• Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Mortg

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
Which CPU is better worth the money?(For gaming purposes.)

• AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Although the AMD is older it has a higher speed and bigger memory caches, also there is a huge price difference. The 4690 is the most expensive(obviously), but possibly the most powerful? If someone could help me out I'd appreciate it! If you guys have any other (better) alternatives, I'd like to hear it.

Mortg

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

How come the amd has a higher clock speed and bigger caches? Doesn't that make it better for gaming?

leeb2013

Honorable
better is easier to answer, worth the money is subjective and dependent on many variables. The FX-4350 is crap, but cheap, so worth the money if you want to pay $100 to play most games, but be limited with recent AAA games. (also very dependent on the rest of your system, if you've got a crap GPU then get a cheap CPU).
All the I5's you listed are awesome, but expensive, so worth the money if you want high end performance in everything including games and have a decent GPU. The more you pay for an I5 the better it gets. But you won't notice any difference, unless you are reaching the limits of performance for the chosen CPU, in which case the next one up will be better.

See, it's not simple. Even performance depends on many things.

Mortg

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

Thanks, it's a gaming pc for a friend. I went with the i5-4690k.

Icaraeus

Honorable
If you intend to heavily OC your CPU you should consider an aftermarket air/liquid cooler for your CPU so that it stays cool. Stock coolers are designed only for stock speeds but can handle small overclocks. It's better to get an aftermarket cooler anyway for stability.

Mortg

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

Yeah, I already thought of that. ;)