Best Mobo-Cpu combination for 230$ or below before taxes?

tetracore

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
230$ is really the upper limit, it's even pushing it a bit.

I'm planning on buying a Socket 1150 Intel H97 mobo with a Intel Core i3-4150 cpu. I wonder if it's the right choice for the little money I'm ready to devote to it. I'm planning to play games with it and my GTX 650ti. I have DDR3 1066 memory. I want the fastest computer, Intel cpu only (so no AMD please) that my money can buy.

Do you think I'm making the right choice with the H97, i3-4150?

Basically, it's the best choice you can make, if you never plan on upgrading to a CPU that can overclock down the line, like an unlocked i5/i7 (you dont need an i7 for gaming).

You COULD get a z97 board now, and then upgrade the CPU later, but with your graphics card is probably to weak to make good use an i5 anyways.

tetracore

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Can I get a z97 board and a cpu as good as the 4150 for my price range? Which cpu would go with it to stay within the $230 price range? The graphics card limit is not a problem since I will eventually buy a new graphic card.

A 4150 and a z97 board like shortstuff recommended will be under your max budget, if you buy it today anyways, as i believe that 4150 is on sale for today only at it's low price.

If you could get $270 you could have gotten an i5 but, sadly that seems out of the question.

A z97 board won't make much difference anyways unless you plan/want to overclock down the line anyways (within 1-2 years, by then something new and better will be out and your z97 will be outdated)