Need Help Getting A Stronger Wireless Signal On New Router+Wireless Card

foster5

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
I just built a computer last week with an Asus pce-68 network card. Installed all the latest drivers on it and it connects to my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk but I only get a 2 bar MAX from only about 20-30 away, IF that. Playing games on my new computer is almost impossible because of the connection.

I read about many people being much, much farther away and with weaker wireless adapters getting full bars. How am I getting only 2 bars? I cant move either my router or my computer. Any other suggestions would be really appreciated because this is really stressful having just put together a 2300$+ gaming pc to not be able to play games.

StirB

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Well for me, my network card on my PC wont get any bars unless the antenna is pointed straight up towards the router. Make sure there are no interfering objects by or near your router or (if your network card in your PC has antennas) network card. If you go into the properties of your network card (device manager) and go into advance settings, is everything correct there, for example the bandwidth is set to Long and Short?

Other machines in your house getting bad bars? Try older drivers?

foster5

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
The properties are all set to how they should be to get maximum performance. Long/Short bandwidth, beamforming is on, I upped the router channels, everything has the latest driver/firmware. Everything based on what I read I should not be having this problem at all with this router or card at this distance, really no idea what im doing wrong

foster5

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
No ideas? I really cant figure out a 200$ router and 100$ network card cant get more than 1-2 bars from 20 feet away

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Are you using 2.4Ghz channel or 5Ghz? 5Ghz is faster but is less tolerant of obstacles like walls. Also try moving your router away from metal obstacles like shelving.

Also could try wifi tools to see what channels others may be using in your area, there could be major conflicts if you are in an apartment building with lots of wifi networks.

TheSocialIrony

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
I have had this card for about 2 weeks now so perhaps I can help. Just to double check, your antennas are fully screwed in?
Fully connected to the PCI-E port?
Other trivial stuff (no clutter around your router or card, no walls, no halogen lamps, etc.)?
Have you tried using the extension thing they give you to put your antennas in a better position? (they are very finicky for me) Note that sometimes your best signal is a reflection.
Are you broadcasting on the correct channels? (I know for my 2.4 GHz, there is a bit traffic so manual channel adjustment with a smaller 20mhz band is necessary)
Have you tried polarization? (Having both your router and card's antennas facing horizontally rather than vertically)
What kind of speeds are you averaging?

TheSocialIrony

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014

I believe AC technology uses both bands at the same time