Advice for mobo upgrade.

Chester Rico

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Hello fellow geeks.

So since I finally have a little bit of money left at the end of the month, I decided why not finally upgrade from DDR2 memory?

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790x-UD4 board. It's AM2+, which only supports DDR2 RAM, of which I only have 4GB (some old Corsair sticks, rated for 1066 but running at a mere 800).

CPU is a Phenom II X4 955 BE (Deneb core) which is ancient, but still pretty good for my needs.

Upgrading to 8 or even 16GB RAM would be super nice (to be more future-proof), but it's really not an option with DDR2, as they seem to be quite expensive nowadays. Not to mention finding sticks that perfectly match my old Corsair memory would be difficult.

So AM3+ it is, since I still want to keep my trusty old Phenom II. And I don't need an APU anyways, because dedicated graphics ftw.

So my question now is, does anyone have any recommendations for a good AM3+ board? If possible, I'd like to stick with Gigabyte, as they're super reliable and last for ages in my experience; but I heard ASRock make decent (and cheap) boards nowadays?

It can support 32GB max, although 16GB would be fine as well, if the price is right. I want at least 2 backpanel USB 3.0 connectors, and possibly one internal 3.0 connector as well (for the front panel).
I never had USB 3.0, I heard it's the shiz.

I really don't know if I need more than one 16x PCIe port, as I only game on one monitor anyway. I only really use my second monitor for work, so I doubt I ever want to do Crossfire with this thing. It depends on how much a second full speed slot would add to the price range.

I hope I can get some suggestions, as the motherboard market is a bit confusing to me these days.

Cheers!