Building a 1000$ Gaming Rig-And I Need Help!

Jun 22, 2014
Hello again! I'm soon to be off to college, and need a suitable gaming rig. A couple months ago I posted wondering about a gaming laptop. I've now decided to build my own 1000$ rig (desktop), and buy a lightweight laptop to carry around with me (for notes, ect.). Anyways, I'm hoping you guys can help me out again.

The PC needs to be able to:
First and foremost a gaming rig. 1080p, high-ultra graphics. I'm thinking a GTX 780 as a graphics card, something reasonably powerful.

Relatively easy to assemble-This is going to be my first self-built PC. I've watched plenty of tutorials and will read much more as I buy parts, yet I'm no engineer.

Includes an SSD-Probably a 120 gig SSD, since I have plenty of HDDs laying about (which I can hook up when I need more space.

Solid parts-I can't have anything falling apart of breaking on me.

I'm sure everything will be compatible so I don't have to worry about that :)

Extra points if you can add some bells and whistles (lights, ect.)
Also if I can buy all (or at least most) of the parts on Amazon, Best Buy, or Micro Center
Double points if you add some tasty links.

Thanks in advance guys!

*Also, if there is a website where I could check for myself which parts are compatible that would be great*

numanator

Honorable
For putting together builds and checking basic compatibility www.pcpartpicker.com is what most people on the forums use.

Did you want to overclock your cpu or do you not care one way or the other?

numanator

Honorable
This is a build for no overclocking, no HDD (since you mentioned you have some). I also included parts from Newegg

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.70 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($76.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($469.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1044.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Other GPU options are:

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($314.99 @ Newegg)

In terms of power, the gtx 780 and the R9 290 are pretty close (780 is probably ahead by a tiny bit, probably not worth the extra $100 unless you absolutely prefer Nvidia cards or their functions). Gtx 770 is one step below either one of them.