Holding down clutch while braking

Hey guys,

So I've taken my learners license and have been driving under an instructor for a month now, and the lessons are over. I drive a stick shift.
However, I'm a little worried of this habit I've developed, of holding down the clutch when braking.
I do this all the time, no matter what speeds I'm going at. For example, If I'm going at 40/50 mph and I feel the need to slow down, I always put my foot down on the clutch before hitting the breaks.

Does this wear down the clutch? I've read somewhere online that this is a bit of a bad habit. I only do it cause I don't want the car to stall when at lower speeds.

Solution

You can try shifting down whenever you hit low RPMs beyond the range of the gear you're in. The engine will brake...

Mortg

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

You can try shifting down whenever you hit low RPMs beyond the range of the gear you're in. The engine will brake too. If you hold the clutch, you lose engine braking. It doesn't really wear down the clutch, but it does wear down your brakes more, since your braking completely with your brakes xD

+ You'll feel your car trying to pull further at low RPMs, but he simply can't in that gear. That's when you should use your clutch.

Solution