Radeon R7 260x Driver Update Boot Fail

kschmitt23

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
So for the past few weeks I've been trying to upgrade my computer. I installed a new CPU, Graphics card, motherboard, and RAM. I forget my exact build specs but I can update this later when I have the time.

Radeon R7 260x - Graphics card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121801
M5A99FX PRO 2.0 - Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851
AMD Zambezi Quad Core FX-4100 - CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996
2 4GB sticks - http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-KHX1600C9D3X2K2-8GX/dp/B004JO3L40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405036851&sr=8-1&keywords=khx1600c9d3x2k2
2 4GB sticks - http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modules-1600MHz-Non-ECC-Desktop/dp/B0057Q4ADU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1405036946&sr=1-1&keywords=khx1600c9d3b1k2+8gx
Rosewill Bronze series 1000W - Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

After I update the graphics card driver, every single time even when I use the oldest version, when I restart my computer I get the black screen of death (The blank screen that stays after the boot logo for windows). The computer boots fine in safe mode and I have tried lots of other driver things such as drive sweeper, driver fusion, ect. I decided that I would try to take out all my RAM but one and see if it worked. It booted up fine. I kept putting sticks back into the motherboard and testing them 2, 3, and 4 all booted fine. I thought I fixed the problem so I updated the driver again. Black screen. I decided to do the RAM test again 1, 2, 3 then 4 and it booted fine after each stick was inserted. I have 2 real questions I guess here. Will I have to just put one stick of RAM in and do this every time I update my drivers? Also, what exactly does putting in 1 stick actually do in this situation? I know it tests if the RAM is bad but I don't get why it then works after I install all 4 sticks.

G

Does it run fine with no graphics drivers installed? Ie, just using the default Windows ones.
That could narrow the problem down to your suspect very quickly.

You're absolutely certain that you're putting the sticks into the correct slots for a dual-channel setup?

The whole boot in Safe Mode and using Drive Sweeper is a good idea, I'm not sure why it didn't work for you.

Which drivers are you installing exactly anyway? And where from? Ideally you'll be downloading the latest non-beta Catalyst version from the AMD website.

Finally, are you sure it's not just taking a while? After updates that Windows logo can take a few extra moments to appear.

I'm going to go out on a limb and blame the RAM. Two different sticks, even of identical speeds is likely to cause issues, especially if they're not correctly configured for Dual-channel operation. You say it works with one stick, unfortunately that will mean only single-channel even if you stuck with it.
It seems Windows is having a bit of issue with the two different sticks. What's the make and model of them anyway?

kschmitt23

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Lots of information I like it!

Okay, I have them correctly configured for Dual-channel setup, windows runs fine with no graphics drivers installed, I'm installing all of the drivers from the website starting from the oldest to the newest from their page (they have a tab for older versions), I've let it run for a couple of hours before I discovered this RAM thing working but I can try again later today or after the weekend.

Let me be a little more clear with the issue. I run my computer with only 1 RAM inserted after I update the driver and it boots fine, after that I ran it with 2 in slots 1 and 3, that ran fine. I kept adding the other RAM in then tested it after each individual RAM was installed. It booted up fine with all 4 RAM installed so I went to the next updated version of the driver and left all the RAM in and it wouldn't load after 15-20 minutes, so I started the process all over again with this newer driver. Installed the 1 stick of RAM and it worked. I then just flat out installed the other 3 together and it worked fine. I just don't know why it does this only after I upgrade the driver.

I found my RAM in an older post:

2 4GB of ---> http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-KHX1600C9D3X2K2-8GX/dp/B004JO3L40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405036851&sr=8-1&keywords=khx1600c9d3x2k2

2 4GB of ----> http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modules-1600MHz-Non-ECC-Desktop/dp/B0057Q4ADU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1405036946&sr=1-1&keywords=khx1600c9d3b1k2+8gx

G

Well that's interesting. From what I can tell the only difference between those two sets is the colour of the heatsink on top of them. Shouldn't be anything to worry about on that front.
Even still though it's probably advised to match them up slot-slot. Ie, Blue-Black-Blue-Black.

Since they're 1600MHz kits and you say they're running at 1333MHz, you'll need to go into the BIOS and select the XMP profile for each set. This will normally just be called Profile#0 or Profile#1, it's a built in overclock set by the manufacture to run at the advertised speed, all DDR3 starts off as 1333MHz.
Even after doing that I don't think it will fix your issue, but it will be nice to run the sticks a bit faster.

Well this makes for quite the headache then, looking at the rest of your specs you shouldn't be having any issue, it's a fairly decent build indeed.

I would suggest updating the BIOS to the latest version if you can, it might end up being an issue on the CPU side, although I doubt it.
If that doesn't work, try going for just a straight-up reinstall of Windows.

It's probably a silly question, but everything on the GPU end is plugged in correctly right? In a PCIe x16 lane?

I just can't workout why it wouldn't just crash immediately as you were updating the drivers if it was a hardware fault. It partly suggests to me that things are working fine but it's attempting to put a picture on a different input or something.
Which method are you using to connect your GPU to your Monitor?

CrispyChips

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

Wait..you're installing every videocard driver,starting at the oldest? I surely hope not..you only need 1 Videocard driver.

Anyway,Sweep your drivers,download the 14.6 RC1 or RC2 drivers and while installing them,go into Advanced and uncheck the AHCI Drivers. It sounds like the exact problem i had in 14.3-14.4 that was supposed to be fixed in 14.4rc2.

kschmitt23

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

I'm starting with the oldest driver installing, then uninstalling, then moving to next driver to find where the problem was. As for the drivers you recommended I will take a look at that a little later today when I have a chance. Thanks for the suggestion.

kschmitt23

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

I'm not actually sure what the RAM is running at I just thought that it was 1333 for some reason. Everything on the GPU is plugged in right. I've switched it around on the different PCIe slots to make my motherboard recognize it as a new GPU and it did, but it didn't work. I'm as confused as you are trust me. Don't even get me started with CPU's being wrong... My new one doesn't want to work at all and I haven't really dove into that project yet but I will soon. Right now I am using HDMI or DVI something. I forget which version. I alternate between those thinking it may be the monitor or something.

kschmitt23

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

No, I upgraded to like 13.3 or something like that and it didn't work. So that's when I took the RAM out and did that whole ordeal. I ended up upgrading all the way up to 14.4 or whatever the current one listed on their website is and got it to work using this same method of removing RAM and putting it back in 1 by 1.

kschmitt23

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
It only works now because it has a fully updated driver. My question at the top, in my original post, was will I have to do this every time I update my driver for video card if it is my fault after seeing so many people complain about 14.4.

kschmitt23

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
So to make the whole situation even more confusing, I tried a few more things and I read someone say that his graphics card had a little dust on the connections and in the PCI slot. So I looked at mine and there was a small amount of dust so I cleaned it and updated the driver before I cleaned it and sure enough it worked. So I thought I was in the clear, updated my driver to like 14.6 or 14.7 I forget and it didn't work, got the black screen again. I hard powered it off and thought it may just be something with the motherboard having stuff plugged in to it after the driver updates that it decides to work. I then unplugged only the SATA cable connected to the motherboard and my harddrive. I unplugged it from the motherboard and plugged it back in and it worked fine. I'm starting to think my motherboard just has issues and should be snapped in half if I cannot get my new CPU working on it. Thanks for all the suggestions though and if you have any more solutions or recommendations feel free to let me know and I'll try. I get my CPU tomorrow so I'll know if my motherboard is broken or not then.

ya but like was stated in one of them links I gave if its not powering the card properly in the slot and it affecting the boards overall power in some way it may be overloading the vrm's of the board causing the rest of the components to fail
for example
lets say they got the slot cut back to 35w and that card needs the full 75w from the slot don't you see where that's a issue?? it may be enough to power the card at idel but when it needs to do some work it don't have the power supplied to it and fails [opinion]