Dell Optiplex 755 Minitower - Successful update of power supply

SOCEY1

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Hi folks.
I recently bought a refurbished Dell OptiPlex 755 Minitower, and I want to get into some future gaming. Everything I read said that the supplied Dell 305w power supply was not very good.
So, I bought a refurbished power supply off of Amazon, and it worked great. I couldn't find a new one.
Here is what I got:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017XEGCM/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not really that hard to replace one of these. It took me about 1/2 hour. This is all that is involved:
1) Pop off the left side cover.
2) Unplug the power connection from the DVD player and disk drive (this is all my system had).
These connectors are black.
Don't worry about marking the connectors. I was really afraid of getting things mixed up, but you don't have to worry about it.
3) Remove 4 quarter inch head screws from the back of the old Dell power supply.
There is a tab on the top, back, right side cover you have to push in to get the power supply out.
I just held the supply in my hand while I did the next step:
4) Remove the large (White) connector at the back of the motherboard.
Once you do that, you can lay the old power supply on the floor, being careful not to put too
much tension on the last wire.
5) Remove the small (White) connector at the front of the motherboard (I think this has 4 pins).
Set aside the old power supply.
You're already halfway done.

Now, the old power supply took 4 screws, the but new one will only take the top two screws:
1) Insert the power supply with the power plug connector at the bottom right, when looking from the back of the machine. Jiggle it so that the tab in the back cover will catch on the bottom of the supply.
2) Start the two screws by hand, then fully tighten.
3) Plug the large white connector (there is only one) to the back of the motherboard.
4) Plug the small white connector (there is only one) to the front of the motherboard.
There are two sets of wires that have 3 black connectors. Looking at the connections on those wires, and on your PC accessories (DVD, disk drive), you want the copper on both of those to meet(copper on wire connector goes on top of copper on accessory plug). Take a good look at both of them and you'll see what I mean.
5) Plug one of the wires (with the 3 black connectors) to your DVD drive (using the top connector).
6) Using the other wire (with the 3 black connectors), plug it into your disk drive(s) using whatever connector is best. I used the bottom connector.
7) Lastly, get some wire ties and tie up the remaining wires so they don't touch the motherboard, or anything inside.
8) Put the left side cover back on, and fire it up.

When the system was running with the old Dell power supply fan, I could hear it.
The fan on the new power supply is silent.
Good Luck.

Next time you post something that's more of a discussion or a write up and not a question, just make sure to uncheck the box at the bottom that indicates you're not seeking answers to a question. Welcome to Tom's.