Sound Card Problems in Windows 8.1

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. Feel free to move this thread wherever it belongs.

My problem is this. I am running Windows 8.1 on an ASUS G72GX RoG Notebook.
I know for a fact that my sound card supports EAX Advanced HD 4.0
I also know that I need Audigy HD drivers. However nothing from Creative's website works and even the drivers for Windows 7 provided by ASUS for this laptop don't work. But unlike the downloads from Creative, the driver/software package I download from ASUS will install. However, when I try to use the volume panel program installed from the package it says that it cannot detect any compatible devices. And I can't apparently install the drivers for this hardware. Everytime I try to uninstall the default Windows audio driver it will ask me to restart and when I do they are still there. I can't even get rid of them.

So my question to any of you is:
- How do I completely remove the Microsoft driver for the audio
and
- What do I have to do to get the right drivers for my card so that I can take advantage of the EAX/Sound Blaster capabilities?

i had a problem with my laptops sound for 3 to 4 years i just went into device manager look at the sound name(realtek audio) and went on my laptops owner(acer) and download from sound realtek audio and lo and behold it worked.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

My Problem isn't that audio doesn't work. It's that I only have standard realtek audio provided by microsoft. My laptop info states that it has the technology for EAX 4.0 Advanced HD but for the love of me when I try to install any drivers for it I get the error message that says that setup could not detect any Audigy 2 hardware.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

I've downloaded from both. And I bought this laptop brand new a few years back and it came with the sticker on it that says EAX 4.0 Advanced HD. But I cannot seem to get anything to work. And if my laptop doesn't have an EAX compatible sound card then why the fuck would they put the sticker on it? Sorry. That was me venting at the stupidity of something like that.

alz_solstice

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

Hello xSimply1337x,

You do know that your Stock OS is Windows 7 right? It might not be available for Windows 8.1. Have you tried using Compatibility Mode for Windows 7?

Since for whatever reason the installation package from Creative doesn't want to work, you might try this. Download the installation package from Creative, or if you still have it skip that. If it's a folder with individual files in it, including the .inf files, great. If not right click on the installer .exe and extract the files in the installer to a new folder. (You may need a third party compressed file utility like WinRAR) Go into device manager and open the properties for your soundcard. Click on the driver tab and click update driver. Click on browse my computer for driver software. Click on let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Click on have disk. Browse to the folder you extracted the Creative files to and browse through until you find the correct .inf file or folder. After that it should offer you one or several devices according to the information in the inf file. Go from there. Sometimes this will work when the actual installation file won't. Good luck.