What did I break

josiahlalala

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
So I stupidly plugged my chasis fans into bother the motherboard and a molex power supply. I thought that plugging the fans into the motherboard allowed the bios to control the speed and that in addition I needed to power the fans by plugging them into the power supply. Did I likely fry my motherboard or CPU. When I turn on the computer the CPU fan spins as well as the graphics card fan, however I am not getting any picture or boot. I have an ASUS motherboard and it is simply displaying the code 00.

I need to ask first. How did you plug a fan with a single plug into two power sources at the same time? That may give us a clue on whether you broke something or your boot issue is due to something else, which it may well be given what you just did. :D

Oh ok. No in that case you didn't break anything by double-plugging the fans - at most you damaged the fans, but I doubt even that. It's something else that is preventing boot-up. Did you plug the CPU fan and the CPU auxiliary power connectors? That's a pretty basic oversight. :)

josiahlalala

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
All the fans spin when I power it up, but I'm not getting any picture or boot up even to the BIOS. I also smelled a faint electrical burn smell before I realized the error.

Remove everything - RAM, case fans, graphics cards, hard drives and optical rives. Leave only the CPU (with it's heatsink/fan) on the mobo. and connected to the PSU.

Usually on newer boards there's a power-on button on the board. If you rpress that, do any ligts onthe baord come on? Do you have a diagnostic LED on the mobo? any numbers there? Any beeps? Did you get a little speaker in the mobo or CPU package? You may have to connect that for beeps.

Make sure the 24-pin connector is seated correctly and tight. Make sure the CPU power is connected and the CPU fan is plugged in to the motherboard.