Good CPU for music production.

Which one is better for music production?

• Total voters

ajdeem

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
I'm currently debating between an AMD FX-6300 processor and an i3 4130 processor. The computer would be used for gaming and music production, but I've done my research and I know both processors would be good for games. What I DON'T know is which one would be better for music production.

I don't really have the budget for a better CPU (unless it's absolutely necessary), so I'm trying to keep it between either one of those CPUs (or other CPUs around that price range).

I appreciate your time. Thanks!

ajdeem

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014

That's a good point, but for now I'm not doing any recording (nor do I have plans on it for the future). Electronic music production is all I'm interested in. I suppose noise levels would be an issue so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Here is my guidelines for when I design a build for a music studio.

Choose the CPU with the lowest TDP that will do the job - that's less heat being generated.
Use closed-loop liquid cooling with special low-noise, "quiet" fans.
Use a low-power fanless video card.
No more than 8-16GB of RAM,
use a SSD with no ratational noise
check for a well-insulated case and add insulation if required.
Prefer 140 or 230 mm case fans. large fans rotate slower and ventilate better while remaining cool.
Check for shielding and if cables need special treatment to reduce electrical signal noise.
Choose a quiet PSU that has optional fanless operation at low temperatures.
Choose the PSU oversized so it runs at low utilization and does not warm up to need the fan.

ajdeem

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
Going for the CPU with the lowest TDP is great advice. In this scenario, that's the intel i3. Thanks Karsten75. Was having a hard time deciding between the two.