Can the Asus SBW-06D2X-U External Slim Blu-Ray Writer play blu-ray movies?

ericklochner

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Hi the title says it all , i just want to make sure because i heard that some external blu-ray writers can't play blu-ray movies. Would it be a good decision to purchase this over a good blu-ray player for my tv because my laptop and pc both have 1080p displays while my tv is only 720p ,plus i can take it with me when i use my laptop. Thank you in advance.

Solution
perhaps not in the way you are thinking....

a "blueray player" can play movies since it has a cpu and hardware to decode what is actually on the disk and not just the actual disk drive.

a "blueray writer/reader" like you linked is meant for the pc and is just a disk drive. you would need pc software to play bluerays on your pc but its not going to work at all with your tv at all if you tried to directly connect it.

however, if your laptop has hdmi output you could have the drive you listed connected to your laptop, buy some blueray software for the laptop (such as powerdvd 14... be sure to get the right version there are 3) and then export video via the hdmi to show up on your tv. this would allow you to watch movies on both the...
perhaps not in the way you are thinking....

a "blueray player" can play movies since it has a cpu and hardware to decode what is actually on the disk and not just the actual disk drive.

a "blueray writer/reader" like you linked is meant for the pc and is just a disk drive. you would need pc software to play bluerays on your pc but its not going to work at all with your tv at all if you tried to directly connect it.

however, if your laptop has hdmi output you could have the drive you listed connected to your laptop, buy some blueray software for the laptop (such as powerdvd 14... be sure to get the right version there are 3) and then export video via the hdmi to show up on your tv. this would allow you to watch movies on both the laptop and tv with that device.

otherwise, you would be needing a seperate blueray player box.

Solution