Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Moving Countries. Need help with power consumption.

Last response: in Components

Do I need to buy a converter?

July 19, 2014 5:35:44 AM

Hello. So I'm in Japan right now and I will probably move back to Australia in a few months. The problem I have is, I don't know if my desktop PC will work in Australia. Keep in mind I built the PC myself.
Here are the specs:
CPU: AMD FX 6300
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
HDD: Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB
MoBo: AsusTek M5A99FX/PRO/R.20
PSU: Owlteck FSP RAIDER 650W RA-650
(All of the parts bought in Japan)
I would like to know if I need to buy a converter of some sort or not.
Also, if I bought an SSD in America, would it work in Japan(Tokyo) and Australia?
Finally, I would like to know if my monitor that I bought here in Japan would work in Australia. The monitor is Acer H236 23inch.

Thank you.
July 19, 2014 6:06:47 AM

The computer will be fine once you purchase a different power cable that goes from the power supply to the outlet but I am not sure if the outlets in Japan are the same as the outlets in Australia. Double to see that '100-240V 50-60Hz' is printed on the power supply label. Double check on the monitor specifications that is 'printed' on the back panel of the monitor or on the power brick for "120v~-240v" or "120v~-220v". It should be on there somewhere.
July 19, 2014 6:13:27 AM

I think you will need a transformer as they use 100v 50-60Hz in Japan. Unless the power supply and monitor are rated for 100-240v as pondering said. In that case you will only need an adapter, or a new power cable.
Related resources
a b C Monitor
July 19, 2014 6:50:13 AM

Your PSU has active PFC which comes with the side benefit of universal input voltage, generally they will do 96-264V 50-60 Hz. All you will need is the power cord that runs from the PSU to the wall outlet for the new country.

The whole point of the PSU is that they shield the internal components from the outside world, the SSD in your system has no clue, nor does it care, where it is from and where it is now, it will work just fine.
July 19, 2014 6:52:39 AM

That's good to know, thanks for the info about active PFC hunter315 ^^