IPV6 getting 50 Mbps. IPV4 Getting 15-20 Mbps.

jaredbaer27

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Hello I have built a newish computer and my internet was working fine for awhile. I have the computer hardlined to the Comcast modem/router combo. It is an Arris TG862G. I ran speedtest.net and got 15 Mbps. I ran comcasts speedtest and I get 15-20 Mbps on Ipv 4 and 55 Mbps on Ipv6. I disabled everything in my router to do with Ipv6, and all my computers I disabled Ipv6. Ran speedtest again ookla speedtest gave me 15 -20 Mbps. Comcast speedtest gave me the same results. Here is the crazy thing that I need help with. I enable Ipv6 and Ipv4, I turn off Ipv4 for 10 seconds then turn it back on while Ipv6 is on and I get 55 Mbps through ookla speedtest and I get same results through Comcast both Ipv4 and Ipv6. But... it drops off 30 min to an hour later back to the 20 Mbps.???? Any thoughts. I have been pinging 127.0.0.1 -t and no drop offs from network card. I have tried on my Wireless Card and the same thing.

oct

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
127.0.0.1 is a loop back address, are you trying to see if your card is dropping packets?

In my opinion, a programs like http://winmtr.net is a better choice for analyzing packet/latancey problems.

Your isp controls your speed, I assume that your isp is a cable company because of the model modem you listed. Depending on how your cable network/plant is constructed, you might have 5 forward down streams and 5 return upstreams. Each stream is capable of 10-20mbs. If the cable network has available/free bandwidth it combines the 5 forward streams and a spike in performs accrues. I do think it is unusual that for 20 min you network has free/unused bandwidth. In my opinion, the ipv6 or ip4 has little to no effect on speed of connection