i5 4670k stock clocks temps okay?

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
My old mobo/cpu took a dump on me so i just bought an i5 4670k and MSI z87-g43 as the cpu was on a pretty decent special where i am. I am still using the Hyper 212 Plus though.

At idle the cpu is at 20 - 22 °C which is expected with the haswell chips. However, at stock clocks, and at load the temp quickly rises to 60+°C after just a few minutes and this was not expected (by me at least). I'm not worried as these temps are acceptable but i am a little disappointed as i expected about 10°C lower at load. Perhaps my cooler is not fitted perfectly.

My old i5 750 was overclocked to 3.5Ghz and while idle temps were a lot higher (say 8°C), the load temps were definitely not this high, about 8°C less than the 4670k.

Am i stuck with these temps or should i be getting better? I'm not that keen for summer to arrive now :( I will be remounting the heatsink soon as soon as i get a replacement board (faulty ram slots).

EDIT: Basically i want to know if i made a mistake buying a Haswell cpu and should i have rather gone with Ivy Bridge? I dont plan to overclock anymore....unless temps get a lot better or i get back into watercooling :)

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah been playing games during the day and max temp on each respective core 45,45,46,43 °C, which im happy with. Was just very surprised as Prime 95 small FFT's cranked out 61 °C on all cores

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I just read it isn't advisable to run Prime 95 on Haswell chips, whether or not that is the case, I am running Aida64 instead and the temps are considerably different. On CPU Stress only the temps are about 17°C lower than what Prime 95 cranked out. The CPU and FPU Stress has the core temps between 48 and 56 °C on average, it fluctuates a lot more than than just the CPU tests. Temps havent gone over 60°C yet and the ambient room temp is slightly higher than yesterday.

I am much happier now :)